Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320C air, fuel hydraulic filters replacement

Gary Layton · 2023-07-26 13:15

I am doing filter replacements on my 2006 CAT 320CL...fuel, water/fuel separator, hydraulics, air. In regards to the fuel filter, I checked youtube but have not found straightforward answers so I'll ask you. 1. Do I need to fill the new filter with diesel before installing? 2. Do I need to use the hand pump to prime the system? 3. If so is it as simple as: loosen round knob pump until it either won't pump anymore...or will it sound "full"? 4. If all done right, should the engine start right up? When I start the engine now it immediately fires up and runs...no extended cranking needed, ever. Any cautionary comments on hydraulic filter replacements? This is what I have near the oil dipstick on my engine...

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2023-07-26 14:00

    Don’t you have an O&M Manual.? The procedures for priming the fuel system should all be in there. Hydraulic filter is on the return line, no.?

  2. #2Gary Layton2023-07-26 14:14

    I do have the O & M...and looks like I am a bona fide noob. I just walked up to the shop and checked the manual...exactly what I need right in the manual. I figured it was in the Service manual that I do not have. Assumptions waste time...sorry about that. Thanks for the pointing.

  3. #3Nige2023-07-26 15:46

    Everything regarding basic preventive maintenance is always in the O&M. It's only more complex Test&Adjust procedures, etc, that you need the Service Manual.