Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320C L fuel leak

Gary Layton · 2022-11-26 16:52

I recently bought a 2006 CAT 320C L for dredging out a 20 acre pond...70 years of buildup needs to be removed. Details: CAT 320C L sn PAB06638 Engine SN MAE05872 AR No. (arrangement) 2870092 I noticed a fuel leak at the base of the rightmost fuel line...I assume that is the line feeding the injector. Fuel injector systems are new to me so I will take any input I can get. I assume the simple solution might be to replace the line assembly which would have seals, rings, etc built in. But it may only likely need a simple part? I tried tightening the obvious parts but they were all tight. Here is a video of the leak: The leak seems to be at the base where the line screws down into the base.

Replies12
  1. #192U 34062022-11-26 17:44

    Is it coming from around the nut on the line? Or where the top of the plunger assembly threads into the pump housing?

  2. #2Gary Layton2022-11-26 17:58

    Appears to be where the large cylindrical part meets the horizontal base that shows the number "213" stamped into the metal.

  3. #392U 34062022-11-26 18:26

    I don't know what's required to reseal one of those as it involves pump work. @thepumpguysc will know what's needed.

  4. #4Bluox2022-11-26 19:21

    The pump needs to go to the pump shop or a rebuilt one installed. Bad Bob

  5. #5Coaldust2022-11-26 20:04

    It’s not as scary as it looks. I almost sent this Zexal with a similar P&B leak to the pump shop, last spring. Just took a new Buna N o-ring from a generic AS586 NAPA assortment. The book call for removing that P&B for spill port timing, anyways. Uhh, IDK. Probably just as much risk and pain involved with entire R&R vs just resealing that one P&B. But, who knows?, right. You might fix that one and the others start leaking. Or, you might get lucky. Or, you might totally screw something up. Sometimes you gotta risk it, for the biscuit. Knowwhatimsayin? My rhymes are tastier than cheese on a Triscuit.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-11-26 22:40

    I can’t tell where it’s leaking from.. If it’s leaking at the part that screws into the aluminum hsg..(delivery valve holder) it’s an easy fix.. just an oring and copper gasket.. BUT.. u have to get the numbers off the name plate to get the correct parts.. After the parts are changed out, the delivery valve holder gets torqued to 65 ftlbs.. (very important)

  7. #7Gary Layton2022-11-26 23:42

    That is precisely where I think it is leaking. That's why I thought maybe it might only take a ring or seal and it sounds like you're confirming that's a good possibility. Where is the name plate your talking about?. I know there were plates on the valve covers but I don't remember seeing one on that housing. I may have just missed it.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2022-11-27 09:32

    The np is on the side of the pump.. U can almost see it in the video.. Just about between 3&4 outlets..

  9. #9thepumpguysc2022-11-27 09:34

    Double post

  10. #10Nige2022-11-27 09:41

    Look on Coaldust's photo in Post #6. It's clearly visible on the front of the pump.

  11. #11Bluox2022-11-27 10:51

    Different pump. Bad Bob

  12. #12Gary Layton2023-07-04 13:29

    For the record...I bought a "holder" for $70 and a "seal" for $6.92 from CAT. I had the CAT mechanic come to do the deed...I was not sure if I had to mess with the pump or not. He was good and tried the seal first...just an O-ring. It fixed the problem. I was able to return the "holder" for refund. The mechanic called the holder a "bonnet". A $7 O-ring fixed the issue.