Hey everyone, I’m new here found the site trying to research a issue I’m having with my excavator. The excavator is a 2001 cat 320cl 12500h Issues I’m having is I thought I had a dead injector, the machine is blowing a ton of white smoke and some blue, I cracked the injectors and found cylinder 5 was dead, it doesn’t have any blow by, so I changed the injector and it didn’t fix it, thought maybe I got a faulty one so swapped it around and still nothing, I’m leaning toward maybe the injection pumps plunger for number 5 is weak and not sending enough pressure, What are your guys experiences and or thoughts, I have read about banjo plug but since it’s a dead hole im thinking that won’t do it, Have a great day
Does the white smoke it's blowing smell (even vaguely) of diesel.? White smoke to me indicates unburnt fuel. Have you whipped off the valve cover and checked the valve clearances on all 6 holes yet.? The results might surprise you.
I would be looking for low compression on number 5 cylinder also. Could be a tight valve as Nige said ,could be a burnt valve or could be cam lift issue. With clearance on both valves try blowing compressed air down the injector hole and see where it comes out.
Thanks for the responses guys, we are going to pull it apart next week, the mechanic is also thinking down the same lines as you both about the valves