Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320cl slow weak track

Coryiowadirt · 2025-12-14 20:12

Cat 320cl has one weak track. Machine has around 5000 hours and has been this way for the last 2000 hours as long as I have owned it. I had a bad final drive on the side that was weak track so when that got rebuild I had the drive motor tested and it test good or so I was told. I replaced the valve under the pedals no change. I swapped the pilot hoses under the cab from left side to right side and the same track stayed slow. Both pressure on main pump test in spec. Wondering if someone has had and similar problem or what should I try next.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2025-12-14 20:26

    Maybe compare the travel motor case drain flow on both sides of the machine. See if the lazy side has higher flow.

  2. #2Johhnycanuck2025-12-15 12:04

    Whats your pressures with the travel motors stalled out? Left forward and reverse, rt forward and reverse, at both high and low idle?

  3. #3Coryiowadirt2025-12-15 12:16

    The pressures are the same on both tracks at stall. I just did the case drain and I am getting way more case drain out of the weak track. Called cat for a rebuild motor and they do not come with the valve on the back.

  4. #4Nige2025-12-15 12:22

    So much for whoever tested it and called it good..........

  5. #5Coryiowadirt2025-12-15 12:28

    The value on the back should be fine?

  6. #6Nige2025-12-15 12:33

    Post a Serial Number. Let's have a look at the breakdown of it.

  7. #7Coryiowadirt2025-12-15 12:36

    Cat0320CLPAB03883

  8. #8Nige2025-12-15 13:45

    That's the counterbalance valve. If you want to try to rule it out why not swap the LH & RH valves and see if it makes any difference to the symptoms.? BTW the Field Repalcement for the 209-5992 travel motor is 511-0313 - which services to 593-5126. Reman appears to be either 10R2154 or 11R1020 depending on what you have for a Core.

  9. #9nikthewho2025-12-16 00:32

    Replace or properly rebuild the weak side travel motor; high case-drain flow means internal wear in the motor rotating group, not just the external controls. The valve on the back of the motor is the counterbalance valve; you can swap left and right counterbalance valves as a check, but the high case drain already points squarely at the motor itself. Before spending money, repeat a structured case-drain test on both sides, same oil temperature, same travel command, timed into a known container, and compare volumes. If the weak side shows clearly higher case flow (which you already observed), plan on a travel motor change or a full-quality rebuild; do not rely on the previous “tested good” result.