Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320CL temperature gauge erratic

Gary Layton ยท 2023-07-04 14:16

2006 CAT 320C L Details: CAT 320C L sn PAB06638 Engine SN MAE05872 AR No. (arrangement) 2870092 It has been running fine lately. Operating temp is usually about "5-6" out of possible 10 or so increments. In the picture, you can see where it is now when it should really show at about the halfway mark...same as the hydraulic temp. I was recently dredging the pond for several hours and noticed the temp gauge fluctuate between a reading of "1" unit (cold) and "5-6" units...normal operating temp. A few minutes later it went to "1" and stayed there. I finished moving my mud mats and shut it down. When I restarted the engine, the ECU test items all seemed to work properly..including the temp gauge...it incremented thru normally during the startup test sequence and then set itself at "1", even though the engine temp was really in the operating range (5-6). I have been using SIS 2.0 to get an idea of where the sensor is for engine temperature but have not been confidently successful yet. I took these pictures of where I think it might be. There appears to be two sensors in the area under the thermostat? Do you think the issue might just be a sensor going bad? I checked the wires to the items in my picture and they are tight. Suggestions?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2023-07-04 16:28

    Look for 212-8614 Water Lines Gp.............

  2. #2Gary Layton2023-07-04 16:31

    Ha! That helps. Thanks.

  3. #3Nige2023-07-04 16:33

    Search for "sensor temperature" and filter by "Parts Identification". That's what I did, it only threw up 5 results.

  4. #4Gary Layton2023-07-04 16:46

    Seems the part I will try is 5I-7578 Sender-Temperature It also says: Availabilty 1 Replaced Contact Dealer I'll call CAT tomorrow and let them sort it out. Thanks for the lead.

  5. #5Gary Layton2023-11-19 09:15

    FTR...just realized I did not follow up. It WAS that sensor (Sender-Temperature). I replaced it and the gauge increments properly now.