Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320cl throttle cable and motor repair

broper@2010 · 2018-05-31 20:02

Throttle cable is bad on my 320cl I know that you have to replace the throttle motor and cables as one and then after install will need to be calibrated be CAT technician or yourself if you know the passcode. New cat part is $1350. But I found a new aftermarket for $300. My issue is this. I call my local CAT and they said they can’t calibrate an aftermarket and tried to sell me there original part. So my question is. Are they just saying that so I will buy there part or is it true? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2018-05-31 23:47

    Who says you have to service it as a unit? 309-5861 is the motor repair kit. As for aftermarket, why can't you calibrate it yourself? Install & calibrate books for 2 hrs.

  2. #2MHDim2018-06-01 12:04

    Normally there should be no problem calibrating a properly functioning aftermarket unit, but I would ask the aftermarket supplier very carefully about warranty details. During the last ~12 months, I have replaced 4 aftermarket governor control motors. One of them failed after approx. 6 months, two more failed within a few days after installation, and the fourth one was malfunctioning right out of the box (unable to successfully calibrate, unable to get it to work properly... long story short, traced it down to an internal problem with its integrated PWM throttle position feedback sensor). I'm not saying ALL aftermarket suppliers are having problems with this kind of parts, but if your problem is related to the cables and not the motor itself, perhaps the best solution is, indeed, to use the genuine repair kit... EDIT: If you decide to go with the repair kit, post a machine s/n so you can be 100% sure about the kit p/n...

  3. #3heymccall2018-06-01 12:21

    The one I linked said for 320C. Listing didn't differentiate serial number ranges. And, the OP didn't give his serial number anyways. I had an ANB 320C before, so that's what I used.