Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320D Hyd. Filter Alternative

vf949 ยท 2009-11-17 17:24

I am trying to find a less expensive alternative to Cat hyd. filter 188-4140 fitted to Cat 320D serial no. CAT0320DKAZR00237. I am unable to get a cross ref. from any of the filter manufacturers websites and was was wondering if anyone on here had one? Even if I can get a part no. for a Cat alternative I should be able to cross reference it, its just this no. I have a problem with.:Banghead It is a spin-on filter. The engine type fitted is 3066-E3T. Thanks in advance!

Replies12
  1. #1cps2009-11-17 17:43

    does this look anything like it? PT9556-MPG Is the Bladwin NO. HF35440 fleetgaurd They dont match your Cat No. (maybe an upgrade) but thats the one that comes up for me!

  2. #2vf9492009-11-17 17:50

    does this look anything like it? PT9556-MPG Is the Bladwin NO. HF35440 fleetgaurd They dont match your Cat No. (maybe an upgrade) but thats the one that comes up for me![/QUOTE] No I'm afraid not! Its a spin-on filter as opposed to an element.. Thanks for the response anyway.

  3. #3cps2009-11-17 17:58

    how about this one BT305 Hydraulic Spin-on suits all 320Ds Bt9393-mpg Pilot filter Where you based by the way?

  4. #4vf9492009-11-17 18:20

    The machine has all filters you mention fitted to it but also the one I am trying to identify. The machine is an import from Japan from McSharrys and I am based in Waterford!

  5. #5Chris917862009-11-17 20:05

    Better to stick with a cat filter than some pos

  6. #6surfer-joe2009-11-17 23:25

    As a presumably Japanese built machine, and a gray market unit at that, it's a better than even possibility that there is no aftermarket filter available for that position. Many machines built for other than the American market are manufactured that way, especially on the hydraulics. It may also be a high pressure filter, which are not in common use on American market units. As Chris comments, you may be better off in the long run to just use the Cat part in that application.

  7. #7cps2009-11-18 09:37

    Is it on a hammer return line?

  8. #8Per Eriksson2009-11-18 11:24

    188-4140 is the number on the complete return filter housing assembly, the element itself inside have another number, open up and look and you might find 179-9806 which is a high efficiency element. Anyhow, a spin on filter it isn't by any means. Where did you get that number?

  9. #9vf9492009-11-18 19:58

    I got it from the owner who says it is on a spin-on filter. It is also mentioned as item 6 on this file I came across on the internet. I'm very confused now!

  10. #10Per Eriksson2009-11-19 02:48

    That list names the components and points on the big aluminium can bolted to the tank, the return filter housing, inside is the element 179-9806. You'll need the oring 095-1681 as well, the old one is a bitch to reuse. There are 2 spin-on filters there as well, case drain 093-7521 and pilot 126-1813, Look at the filter itself, doesn't it have a number on it?

  11. #11Geraldes2009-11-19 05:29

    Yeah, the number 188-4140 does not exist in the cat parts system. The number 179-9806 = 84 Euro's in Holland and the O-ring is 8 euro's here, not too expensive i think ? Edit: And there are always numbers on the parts.

  12. #12BSAA65LB2009-11-19 07:17

    Quit being tight and buy the Cat filter.... IME, some of the aftermarket filters you get for hydraulic systems are not ready for prime time Which is exactly what you DON'T want on installed on a hydraulic system. Engine filters seem to be ok...but for whatever reason, some of the aftermarket hydraulic filters can be scary.....