Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320D slew brake fault

Scott_wgtn ยท 2013-01-29 02:42

We have a cat 320D and the slew brake randomly apples during operation, it's makes a horrible bang and crash, will do this at least ten times a day, cat have had many people look at it and pressures checked, reliefs replaced all solienoids replaced etc etc, any ideas? I hear this is a common fault throughout cat diggers, any help would be good?

Replies6
  1. #1Scott_wgtn2013-01-29 03:08

    Maybe it's a lemon?

  2. #2JGS Parts2013-01-29 03:57

    how old is the machine how many hrs on it mate? also what dose CAT say about it?

  3. #3uffex2013-01-29 10:11

    Good day Scott I believe the brake is of a negative version (released by pilot pressure) To diagnose the problem try connecting the release line direct to the pilot pressure and plug the existing line. You might also install a pressure gauge so taht in the event of slew lock you can observe if the pressure fails or it is a mechanical fault. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4jake9802013-01-31 18:44

    hey scott your problem is most likley a faulty implement pressure switch.... I have been down this road before... there is a 2 wire sensor on the control valve... unplug it and put a peice of wire in the harness end, joining the 2 wires together.... problem should go away... I will go on sis and look up the exact location for you. This sensor senses signal pressure from your pilot system when a pilot control is activated. When pressure is sensed with your implement pressure switch it release's your swing parking brake... after a certain amount of seconds (forget how many) of inactive pilot pressure to the sensor it locks on swing parking... this also works as an input for your engine automatic idle, have you had any issues with that aswell?

  5. #5jake9802013-01-31 21:58

    I just looked it up and found there was an updated switch... not sure if it applies to your machine need serial# but there should be 2 wires going to the switch... a white #h476 and black#235

  6. #6Per Eriksson2013-02-01 16:17

    Old switch is 167-3466, new is 309-5769, the old ones fail so often I always keep atleast one spare in my truck.