Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320L Hydraulic Hose Location Question

fatheroffour · 2025-02-03 20:01

Would someone please tell me where this hose goes to in the cab of a 320L Excavator 1995 model? It is leaking and I am working by myself and having a hard time finding a parts manual to show me which port is goes to on the hand controls. Thank you very much!!

Replies23
  1. #1TVA2025-02-03 20:02

    Pattern changer, if you have one.

  2. #2TVA2025-02-03 20:04

    Where the big hoses on the front of the valve go to? If they go to the bucket - then it goes to the bucket joystick. If swing - to swing. But pattern changer is in between.

  3. #3TVA2025-02-03 20:05

    I do my “hose pulling” by myself all the time.

  4. #4fatheroffour2025-02-03 20:07

    Where exactly is it located?

  5. #5TVA2025-02-03 20:08

    Patterns changer? Behind the cab

  6. #6excavator2025-02-04 11:46

    Like has been said, a pattern changer. If it doesn't have that then there likely will be a block under the cab. Take the sheet metal panels off under the cab and it will be bolted to the floor. Get yourself a length of rope and a fitting to fit the end of the hose, drill the fitting, insert the rope and screw it into the hose fitting. That way you pull the rope in while removing the hose and then you can pull the new hose back in with it.

  7. #7Nige2025-02-04 12:22

    If you would like to post the Serial Number I'm sure someone can look up the illustration of the pilot lines and their routing.

  8. #8fatheroffour2025-02-04 12:23

    Wonderful idea! Thank you so much!

  9. #9fatheroffour2025-02-04 12:27

    9KK04388 If you could help me identify exactly where the hose is located that would be so helpful. Thanks again!

  10. #10heymccall2025-02-04 12:42

    Odds are that it goes to a travel pedal valve.

  11. #11fatheroffour2025-02-04 13:00

    Dear Lord...I will never find it! BUT thank you so much. It looks like #47 in the top but that diagram looks like it goes to the manifold under the seat. It does appear to be a travel pedal.

  12. #12Nige2025-02-04 13:23

    The hoses from the travel pedals appear to me to go direct from that location to the main control valve. One way to check might be to disconnect the hose at the end closest to the control valve from where your original photo was taken, then disconnect one of the hoses as the travel pedal and try blowing compressed air through it. You only have 4 possibilities to choose from from, one of them has to be the one you're looking for.

  13. #13fatheroffour2025-02-04 13:29

    Great idea. It's out in the woods and I have no electricity or compressor there. I will take a generator and figure something out...Thank you very much!!

  14. #14TVA2025-02-04 13:31

    You can spray brake fluid or something else from the can with the straw, from the control valve side. And see which one will leak out under the cab

  15. #15fatheroffour2025-02-04 13:32

    Bingo!! Thank you sir!!!

  16. #16TVA2025-02-04 13:36

    On the rope - I usually buy the plug ( I assume it’s be 3/8 ORFS). Weld the small nut to the top of it, and smooth it out, to give it kinda “bullet” shape. Tie a rope through the hole in the nut, and pull. This way there’s less chances it’ll get hung up on something. But if the hose is secured with clamps anywhere - you’ll have to undo those clamps.

  17. #17Nige2025-02-04 14:00

    In that case you have to improvise. Put your lips round the end of the hose and blow…

  18. #18Nige2025-02-04 21:14

    This may be useful. A quick look seems to indicate that there are actually 4 x Hose #47, probably all going to the travel pedals.

  19. #19TVA2025-02-04 21:24

    Judging by arrows in original picture - his hose is one of 37. But that item number is just a hose assembly.

  20. #20LCA0782025-02-04 22:17

    For low pressure testing like this, get a $15 garden pump sprayer and 1/8" barb fitting (I think that's the right size for nozzle hose) that you can screw into your hydraulic hose (doesn't have to be a JIC/flare fitting). I use these pumps all the time as a low pressure (10-20 psi) diesel source for priming injector pumps and verifying the injector pump/engine works on crank-no start issues. You can do the same for using it for low pressure air supply.

  21. #21fatheroffour2025-02-05 14:18

    Nige: I just want to thank you sir for all of your help. You were correct, it was to the block under the foot pedal, bottom hose to be exact. I unhooked, sprayed brake fluid and low and behold, it was the one. You literally saved me hours tracing this down and I THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR KNOWEDGE AND WILLINGNESS TO HELP ME!!

  22. #22fatheroffour2025-02-05 14:19

    TVA: Your tip of welding a nut on a cap was genius and it worked so seamlessly. I was amazed! Thank you so much for the tip!!!

  23. #23fatheroffour2025-02-05 14:22

    Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! This was a lifesaver!!