I have a newer Cat 321D, That I am running in a recycling facility. The motor is constantly over heating, through out the day. I have to constantly blow the air filter out, and or replace it. I have washed and blown out the radiator multiple times each day, and still have the problem. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. Or knows of anyway that I can modify or change something with the machine so that it either stops the problem, or limits the times per day that I am blowing out the radiator and filter.
An aftermarket reversible fan, cleanfix have for Caterpillar applications. As for the airfilters you could try an "active" cyclone precleaner like a turbo II or a donaldson topspin
Have the fan clutch checked for proper operation. Ensure that the "high ambient" fan clutch software is enabled.
+1 on checking the fan clutch. Had a 325D with overheating issues, ended up being the fan clutch.
What air temps are you noticing it over heating. what load factor are you running at. could you be over working the machine?
Sounds like more of a dirty rad problem caused by the operating conditions. Most times when you try to wash a rad in the machine you just make mud and then it's really hard to get out. The reversible fan is probably your best bet. You may have to remove the rad to get it really clean so the reversible fan can do its job.
How do I check if the "High Ambient" soft wear is enabled? I am pretty sure that I am over working the machine. Its my main machine, I use it 10 hrs per day. The conditions are very dusty, I have a misting system running all day, but the dust over whelms it.
I would recommend pulling out the radiators and having them cleaned and putting a reversible fan on. I think you would be good to go after that.
Check out this thread. See if it helps any.