Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 322B Engine Swap Questions

Adgr · 2025-09-18 16:02

I'm working on an older CAT 322B excavator. Motor has locked up and we're just going to swap it with a used engine, old machine probably isnt worth putting a reman in, just an old farm machine. Where my problem arises is that apparently a previous owner found themselves in the same boat. Currently is has a prefix 9GK 3116 Truck engine. by serial number it calls for a 98Z machine engine. I'm struggling to find a 98Z, but 9GK engines are available. My question is will it be a problem to just use a truck engine? Is there a significant difference in power, torque curve, what have you? SIS shows 9GK at 180hp @2600 rpm. I can't seem to find much on the 98Z. Hopefully you fine folks have some input!

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2025-09-18 16:44

    It would help if you mentioned the Serial Number of your machine. A lot on information comes from that.

  2. #2Adgr2025-09-18 16:46

    Yessir, my apologies I forgot to include that info. Machine s/n is 1YS00274

  3. #3Nige2025-09-18 17:28

    The original engine S/N 98Z18889 was a 131-3804 arrangement and Test Spec 2T8621 producing 161 BHP @ 1950 RPM and 514 ft lbs of torque at 1600 RPM. So basically the search is for a 9GK arrangement that will produce something around those numbers or maybe take a 9GK short block and dress it to suit the 131-3804 arrangement. Having looked around it doesn't appear as though there is even one arrangement of the 9GK engine that produces max power as low as 1950 RPM. However there are many other S/N prefixes of 3116 engine that are installed into machines apart from the 98Z. You could try looking for engines with S/N prefix 4TF, 7TM, 6RR, 2WG, 3EJ, 7JS, & 1CK. I can see a fair few arrangements that produce maximum power in the 1900-2000 RPM range.

  4. #4Adgr2025-09-18 17:38

    Thank you very much Nige, having lurked around these forums for several years I'm glad to have your input. Info from your posts have helped me many times. I may be showing quite a bit of ignorance here, sometimes I feel like I just don't know a thing. It being a mechanical engine I would assume the governor is what determines the hp @ a given RPM. As usual, I'm in over my head. I would think its possible that the last guy simply used the 9GK long block and installed everything from the original 98Z? I guess what I'm asking is: what all would be involved in dressing the 9GK to my needs?

  5. #5Nige2025-09-18 18:14

    Partly, but it can also be related to other internal components such as pistons (compression ratio), fuel injectors, turbo, aftercooler and possibly other components. It would need a specific 9GK engine Serial Number so that the Arrangement & Test Spec of that engine to be determined. From there it's simply a matter of comparing the 98Z Arrangement to the 9GK one to see which parts need changing.

  6. #6Adgr2025-09-19 14:42

    What about a 2SG00220? I located this engine with very low hours and the seller claims it meets the needed specifications.

  7. #7Nige2025-09-19 17:06

    Well it's a genset engine so it will probably be set to run at 1800 RPM as opposed to 1950. Genset fuel injection pumps are usually a different animal to those on a variable-speed engine. Not too much info available on it. Can you ask the seller for two pieces of information from the Data Plate please. 1. Arrangement Number. I think it will be 7C6599 but want to confirm. 2. Test Spec Number if available. My suspicion is 0T7850.

  8. #8Adgr2025-09-19 17:28

    You are correct on arrangement number, I’ll try to get a test spec. Thank you sir

  9. #9Adgr2025-10-03 13:32

    Nige, I may have finally found a proper engine for this excavator, maybe you can confirm. It is ESN 98Z31232 coming from machine s/n 8CR01544. Hopefully this ones the ticket lol. Thank you for all your help sir

  10. #10Nige2025-10-03 14:01

    Well the first thing I see is that the engine you have found is rated 137 BHP @ 2300 RPM with 437 ft bls of torque at 1500 RPM. The original engine in your machine 1YS00274 produced 161 BHP @ 1950 RPM with 514 ft lbs of torque @ 1600 RPM. So as you can see there is a bit of difference. I don't know how much resources you have, especially for a fuel injection shop that could take the fuel injection pump and governor from 98Z31232 and try to set it up to nominally produce 24 BHP more at 350 RPM less. Check your message inbox. I'm going to send you something.

  11. #11Nige2025-10-31 16:39

    To the OP. I sent you some information on a message. Did you receive it.?

  12. #12Les B2025-10-31 21:40

    A while back you shared a PDF for cartridge pin removal for a 963 bucket if it wouldn’t be much trouble, could you send it to me at [email protected] it would be greatly appreciated.

  13. #13Nige2025-11-01 04:46

    See Post #4 in this thread. The pdf attachment can be downloaded. HeavyEquipmentForums