Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 325B Hammer Install – Errors and Advice

Liviu Popescu · 2023-01-16 07:25

Hi all, I’m trying to install a CAT H140 hammer on my 325BLN, serial number 8FN00854. The hammer does not work and I have gone down the route of troubleshooting errors. First set of errors I get on the monitor are 4208 & 4209 - they refer to spare PWM sensor 1 & 2 being open. I’ve spent days trying to figure put what these are but cannot figure it out - Any help with this? Engine/pump controller is 151-9343X. I thought there might be something installed on pins 1 & 14 of connector 1 but there is nothing there - please see picture attched. the other set of errors I have was an Error 3 on the aux hydraulic controller display. We’ve discovered the proximity switch wiring was broken (although the excavator sees the ball valve as being in one way flow which is correct). We’ve discovered that the plug for solenoid R1/R2 was disconnected - we plugged that in however when we swinged the excavator to the right to try the hammer we destroyed the solenoid AC1, AC2. The error is now Error 5. We’ve also broken the plug from the flow control PEV solenoid but I think that is still ok. I’ll order the AC1 and AC2 and take it from there. any chance the 4208 and 4209 are related to the Error 3 that I was showing initially? Any help will be appreciated! thanks Liviu

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2023-01-16 08:50

    My 322BL machines used one of these, , mounted by the engine air filter. Damned rain water would penetrate below the epoxy and ruin the module.

  2. #2Liviu Popescu2023-01-16 08:52

    Hi, this is the module I have which was showing error 3 and error 5, I’m pretty certain it’s working fine, managed to cucle through the various modes and number of hours.

  3. #3Liviu Popescu2023-01-28 01:50

    Hi all, Just wanted to update on progress - replaced the 2 AC1 and AC2 solenoids and errors have gone away, however we now have a new problem. When you press the hammer button, the hammer works for 1 second and then the auxiliary controller switches off and hammer stops working. If you turn the machine off and on then The controller works but as soon as you press the button for the hammer the same happens. Also, another strange thing - if you have the AC solenoid plugged in but not screwed into the actual aux manifold you get an error 3 appearing on screen ( short to ground). We’ve checked as many wires as we could for a bad wiring but cannot figure this out. I’ve spent a week reading through O&M manual, technical papers but cannot find anything. Is there a way to bypass this whole combined flow/aux controller setup alltogether? What I fail to understand is how it all works? You can setup a parameter for hammer mode in the monitor but then you can setup parameters for tools in the auxiliary controller. What is the relationship between them and who takes priority? If you didn’t have the aux combined flow module thing how would you wire and pipe the hammer? Also how does the 1/2pump flow work and how does it differ from combined flow/ 2 way hydraulics. The specs for the hammer H140 are these - I cannot figure out if I would need 2 pump flow or 1 pump flow as the CAT literature doesn’t give me the min/max flow for 2 pumps. any guidance would be greatly appreciated, at least pointing me in the right direction. I’ve attached the specs. thanks Liviu