How much compression should a cat 3304 engine have? Should I be able to turn over engine by turning the crank pulley rather easy? im turning it with a chain wrench clockwise facing the pulley, I could probably turn it with my bare hands if I could reach my arms in there. Engine starts right up and runs perfect and doesn’t smoke at all. Troubleshooting a low power excavator. Machine serial 95z00480 Engine serial 12z05046
No way you should be able to crank the motor over with a wrench or your hands if the injectors are installed. Runs good and no smoke, need some of the other guys to come in
A 3304 isn’t real hard to turn. Chain wrench will do it. If it starts good and doesn’t smoke compression is not an issue. Check fuel pressure at injection pump supply first.
Learned me something today, thanks
I used to turn them over by tightening the fan belt and using the blades of the fan. Like Mobiltech says, if it starts and runs good, it should be OK. For power issues I'd start with things like air and fuel filters.