Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3304 idler gear 215 excavator

Dgreen4298 · 2020-04-28 23:33

I reinstalled my fuel injection pump on my cat 215 95z00480 excavator with 3304 engine and when tightening the bolt for the pump gear I notice the idler gear is a little slop in it. Is this normal or is something wrong with it or whatever it mounts to?

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632020-04-29 07:32

    What you are seeing is the thrust clearance on that idler gear, it is moving back and forth like that because of the angle of the gear teeth. Put it together and get running. (In my opinion of course)

  2. #2Nige2020-04-29 10:48

    It's got to have some "slack" in order to be able disassemble and reassemble it. I don't see anything excessive in either of those videos.

  3. #3Bluox2020-04-30 10:43

    How many hours does that motor have on it? That gear set has way too much back lash. That idler gear has a bearing in it, the worn limit is .009" . It appears yours is way past that. It also appears that gear is rocking on the shaft and it shouldn't. I think you would be prudent to investigate further. Good luck Bob

  4. #4Dgreen42982020-04-30 12:55

    That’s what I was thinking Bluox. Doesn’t seem right to me that the gear is tipping out like that. What about the part the gear mounts to, is it a part of the block machined down or something that bolts to the block? Is is possible to remove timing cover without pulling engine from machine? Do I have to remove the oil pan? If I am looking at the right part online it looks like I can change the bearing for the idler gear. Does anyone have a manual for this engine?

  5. #5Bluox2020-05-01 10:03

    The shaft for the gear bolts to the block. Yes the timing cover can be removed in the machine. Only The oil pan bolts in the front cover need to be removed. The bearing is a separate part . The Cat parts can order you a service manual for that engine but if you can find a service manual for that machine it should have a engine book in it. Good luck Bob