Hi everyone, bad news about my cat 225 excavator. It was running mint then developed a knock. Pulled the valve cover to find a disintegrated valve spring and two other broken ones. Removal of the intake showed the head to be full of coolant. Removed the head and found shrapnel all over two of the pistons. So here’s my question: cat is trying to sell me complete preassembled cylinder packs that I just drop right in. It’s 2400 for all 4 cylinders. Aftermarket complete rebuild kits are significantly cheaper. Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket kits like FP diesel or is it advised to stick with Cat pistons and sleeves thank you Justin
The last time i used an IPD kit in a 3306, it was ok except the valve cover gasket was too thin and i had to use a Cat valve cover gasket. The last 3304 i did, i used Cat parts but i did not use the cylinder packs because i don't trust that they got the ring gaps oriented correctly or pin circlips in the correct way. Most times OEM's only warranty their parts and not the labour, so in my case, i feel its not worth the extra risk to gamble on cylinder packs. I feel that i know more than the guy thats slapping them together on an assembly line that may be having an off day. That being said, i would send the rods to a machine shop to be checked and resized and magnafluxed- especially in an engine that has had anything go through a cylinder. On reassembly when you plastigage, use the old bolts and use new bolts for the final permanent assembly
Sound advice, thank you. This will be the first in frame I’ve ever done so I don’t entirely know what I’m talking about and will rely heavily on the local machine shop and your recommendations. How can you tell if the rods need new bearings?
I used a CTP brand rebuild kit on my 3304 in 2018. I think it was like $1200. That was for pistons and rods assembled in new sleeves. Still running great.
Joel59 where did you purchase the ctp kit?
I got mine on ebay, but don't see it listed anymore. Look up Costex Tractor Parts (CTP) and it was their "premium" in frame kit.
3306 aftermarket parts are plentiful and mostly OK quality. From personal experience, I've had good luck with IPD or Clevite parts. Bulldog gasket kits are OK. Not so much High Gaskets. Whether or not you buy the cylinder packs pre-assembled is irrelevant. You are going to need to separate the liners from the pistons to check your liner protrusion anyway. I'm not sure why Cat claim they are a benefit to engine rebuilders. The only place I can see them being of any potential use is on the factory production line. Your engine probably has a cork valve cover gasket, correct? If your gasket kit comes with a new cork gasket, don't use it. Cat updated it to a rubber bonded seal which is far better. If you have to get this one part from Cat, do it.
I was able to use the pre-assembled packs because mine was out of frame with the block on an engine stand.
I out of framed a 3304 loader engine with Clevite part. No regrets.
I agree with everything CMark says. The money saved on buying non Cat parts can be used to buy the major gaskets such as head etc.