Looking for a new turbo for my cat 215 with 3304 engine any advice on where to get one? I see them all over the net at prices ranging from $150 for a new cartridge all the way to $2k for an oem. I don’t think I can use my turbine housing as it is rusted up pretty good on the inside so a cartridge change is probably out of the equation. Also I kinda think I broke the exhaust pipe where the turbo mounts to, I don’t think the cone shaped piece was supposed to come off.
What you show in your photo is NOT part of the turbo. It's Item 3, the 6N-1553 Coupling between the turbine housing of the turbo and the exhaust. See below. Externally the turbo looks well shot. I think you are probably correct in the assertion that a cartridge replacement will not be sufficient to solve the issue. You will need items 2 (6N-0009 Ring) & 4 (6N-1558 Ring) in the illustration when you reassemble.
clean up your inlet and exhaust housings and check for impeller or turbine damage from rubbing and excessive corrosion and rust around the mating and sealing areas. then you will be able to tell if a cartridge will work. it may be cheaper to get a good aftermarket complete new turbo than oem. i have always found the oem prices a lot higher than a turbo rebuild specialty shop or supplier and over the years have not had too many problems with re-man turbos
Thanks, I ordered a reman unit,we’ll see how it turns out, hopefully it lasts a long time. It was about half price of a reman cat unit.
It remains to be seen if they give you a Core Deposit on your old turbo if the internal condition is anything like the external. Back to my post #2 above. You probably should also replace the hose Item 6 (1P-1195) and the two clips Item 7 (5P-0597). Additionally there is another hose (4W-2582) and two clips (5P-4868), shown below, that you might also consider replacing.
It turns out that the coupling, #3 in the drawing, actually is broke, the groove where the large ring#4 would go is broke off. At least it is not the whole pipe like I thought. I will look and see if I can get the hoses also. I am not even going to bother sending the core back, the turbine housing is pretty much junk.
Offroad Equipment might well be a good source of parts for a machine from that era. You will need to register and create an acocunt though. www.offroadeq.com/