Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 3306 injectior question (D5B)

Ferdinand ยท 2017-06-14 10:15

I've been rebuilding the fuel system on a D5B with a 3306 engine. The factory service manual indicates that the collar which holds the injector valve in the pre-combustion chamber should be tightened to 10 lb/ft. Is this really the correct value? It seems ridiculously low for a 1" nut that holds the injector against the full pressure of combustion. Breaking these nuts free required a 1/2 breaker bar with an extension, indicating that they were tightened to a much higher value than 10 lb/ft. The much smaller nuts used on the other end of the line on the fuel pump are specified at 70 lb/ft. Anyone know what the correct torque value for this should be? Thanks, F

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2017-06-14 11:12

    As you didn't mention the S/N prefix for your D5B I took a look at one of the ones in SIS and just happened to see one that showed the 10 lb/ft! Yes you are right that is a typo! I'm attaching the page for a 3306 in a 966C loader that shows the torque at a more reasonable 105 lb/ft. If you have manual I'm assuming you know about the correct positioning of the pre-chambers if they were also removed.

  2. #2Ferdinand2017-06-14 13:44

    Thanks! That seems a lot more reasonable. Regards, F