Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fixed track frames on dozers

Scrub Puller ยท 2017-06-14 17:47

Yair . . . I notice a member here with a D5 that appears to have non oscillating track frames. I know such machines exist but I don't know which of the machines have this configuration. I imagine they would be the ducks guts for finish work but how do they compare to a conventional machine for (say) general farm work? They would be rough as guts to walk anywhere I imagine. In the real world how do they compare. Is there a noticeable difference at the end of the day? No equalizer bar or spring, no diagonal braces, simple final with just a sprocket on a shaft sure does look attractive maintenance wise. Just curious that's all. Cheers,

Replies5
  1. #1Dickjr.2017-06-14 21:49

    Hey Scrub , my D39 Komatsu is a rigid frame machine. Yes it rides rough especially over rocky ground which we have plenty of. The seats on newer machines are better but it still can be a rough ride. My uncle once told me " keep your work area flat" which is possible most of the time and by flat I mean the rough stuff stays in front of the blade. My track loader has the pivot shaft and weighs about 3 tons more. Big difference in the ride quality even though it is 20 years older than the 39. I chose this size which is nuts to nuts the same as a D5K , 650K Deere and a 850M Case , because I can't afford to run a D6T size machine and be profitable. Too much payment , bigger lowboy and truck , and massive fuel consumption. It can be in good soils a really pleasurable machine to run, which applies to all listed.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2017-06-15 20:26

    Yair . . . Gotcha Dickjr . Thanks for reply. I was just curious about the viability of the machines for general work. I take it most of the smaller machines with PAT blades are made this way? What is the largest rigid machine in production? As I mentioned it sure makes for a simple machine. Do folks look at that aspect when deciding on a purchase? Cheers.

  3. #3Twisted2017-06-15 20:42

    I own/operate both. D65 and D41 Komatsu machines. Running perpendicular to the bumps they both shake you up but any sort of an angle and there is a huge difference in ride quality. I dare say the oscilliating machine levels way better up to the final cut plus puts the power to the ground. Besides maintenance I don't see any advantage to a rigid frame. I was a bit concerned before purchasing the 41 as about all I had ran was the old 65. They are such different machines that a person runs them to their ability. I also look forward to hearing this discussion.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2017-06-16 00:23

    xxxx

  5. #5Plant Fitter2017-07-03 17:16

    I have really only had much time on a D5C Caterpillar with a rigid frame, and a D85-21 Komatsu with the ocsillating frame. To me, the D85 was just as rough, but it's difficult to compare as the work was often harder rocker going. I think the rigid frame is much more stable, and much better for steep hill work, and also for hard ripping with a single shank. The D85 seemed to flop around all over the place, quite scary when you are on the side of a hill and used to a rigid frame. Based on my limited experience I find it hard to see the benefit of the ocsillating frame, pivot shafts, equaliser bar etc. But like I say, difficult to compare two rather different sized machines. I had a few hours on a D10T once, and it was more comfortable than you could imagine any dozer ever would be.