Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3306 opinions wanted

charles walton ยท 2013-01-01 16:06

I'm looking at a dump truck with a 3306,just wanting to hear some pro's and con's

Replies5
  1. #1ben46a2013-01-01 17:18

    Not huge power but solid reliable engines. We ran many of them in our louisvilles until the 3176 came out. Good low end grunt for a small engine, would lug to 1200.

  2. #2denver m farms2013-01-01 18:07

    I have one in a tri axle kw with a 8ll and it has really suprised me. We pull a 30.000lb track loader and gross the truck at 80.000 fairly often and it may be a little slow on thes steep hills we have around here but it does a plenty good enough job and has been completly trouble free so far. I would say they are a fine engine and for it's size the only thing i would rather have would be a 11.1 detroit. The only con i can come up with would be the fuel mileage is not the best but not so bad that it would keep me from owning another one.

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2013-01-01 19:21

    cat 3306 In the last 15 years, I have owned about 6 trucks that had Cat 3306 engines, they range from tandem dump trucks to quad axle dump trucks. As stated they dont have a bunch of power, but they go and come with a load and the big rigs with 500hp, usually gets the same loads as I did. Of course now I guess Im one of the big boys, all my trucks has 400-500hp and they love fuel I never had to do anything major to any of the trucks while I had them (about 2 years) Make sure its a good one and not one that someone has worn out (true with any engine)

  4. #4charles walton2013-01-01 19:26

    What kind of mileage did you get loaded?My biggest concerns are fuel consumption and dependability.I have an old 955l with a 3304 and I think the 3306 is basically the same with two more cyl so that is why I was looking for one.

  5. #5denver m farms2013-01-01 20:01

    I was in and out of town in stop and go traffic when i checked the mileage, When loaded pretty heavy and my truck is heavy emty at about 27.000lbs, I was getting about 6.0 mpg or a little over if i remember right. We have another rig with a 12.7 detroit at 430hp and it would get a little over 7 in the same situation. Also my 3306 is at 300hp and has alot of miles and wear.