Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to upgrade my dump truck, school me a little on this…..

Gooseidi ยท 2012-12-31 23:32

I have been running an '87 C70 Chevy for about 6 years now. Spec'ed with the 8.2 Detroit fuel pincher, 5 speed/2sp rear, governed at 62mph, hydroboost brakes, 22,000GVW, 10' mason dump that's been welded up and has home made sides to offer more cubic capacity. The truck has 105,000 miles on it and is quite reliable. The primary thing for my dump is to tow my chipper and get filled up with the chips my chipper makes. A chipper box would limit the use of the truck so an open top dump is a must. My truck fills up with one tree so I want a bigger box, an I or L pack would be great for tool, saws, tree climbing gear and the like. I will also be towing a 12 tag trailer with an 18,000lb loader on it from time to time. I found this and I am interested: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3483852503.html It's an '84 International, 25,000GVW, DTA360, 5sp/split rear, juice brakes. My biggest worry is that the owner says its a 55mph truck. I know you can mod the heck out of the DTA 360 and easily get 350hp but wonder if I am selling myself short. My 8.2 is a slug empty. Loaded it's plain misery. Most of South Jersey is flat and my highway stints are very infrequent. I have this feeling I should be looking for an air braked, DT466, 10 speed Eaton/Fuller equipped truck but am trying to convince myself that it would be overkill Also solely based on what looks pleasing to my eye, I have come to be fond of either an International or a L8000 or L9000 series Ford. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I wouldn't mind an old single screw Mack R600 but get the feeling I would be custom building my L pack and bed combo if I came across a truck like that. Any thoughts?

Replies2
  1. #1Hendrik2013-01-01 00:40

    The 360 is always going to be 360 cubic inches, however they are a good motor. For $6900 that truck is worth a look.

  2. #2GFMotorsports2013-01-01 01:07

    I have a 81 s1854 with dt466 and 294k on it (newer rebuilt motor) than pulls 8 tons pretty easily and it has a 5+2 in it. Just recently fixed it with help from this forum and it seems like a good combo for a chipper rig easily.