Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 3306 water pump

bsamot69 · 2021-12-08 11:22

Our Peterbilt dump truck has a CAT 3306 engine. I'm looking at the belts and the 2 around the water pump are loose. Okay, I see 3 bolts securing the pump that allow adjustment. I don't have tool that will fit in the space. Any suggestions or tool recommendations to perform this seemingly simple operation?

Replies11
  1. #1kshansen2021-12-08 12:58

    Any chance of a complete S/N for this 3306? Never worked on an automotive 3306 but many off road applications and they all had gear driven water pumps. If no Serial Number how about a picture of the pump area of this engine?

  2. #2Mobiltech2021-12-08 13:12

    I don’t know of any cat truck engine with an adjustable water pump. 3208 is a fixed belt drive as well as 3126 Neither are an adjustable pump. The rest are gear drive. Maybe something older?

  3. #3kshansen2021-12-08 13:19

    That's is part of the reason I asked about the s/n and a picture. Who knows someone may have painted and old NH Cummins with Cat Yellow paint to pass it off as a Cat Engine?

  4. #4bsamot692021-12-08 18:12

    Hey, I bit the bullet and ground down a 5/8 wrench and wiggled it in. Got the belts adjusted. I'm not sure it's a water pump, more like a mount for the pulleys and fan.

  5. #5kshansen2021-12-08 19:33

    Just for fun if you can post the numbers off the engine I'll see what I can tell you about the engine.

  6. #6Bluox2021-12-09 01:53

    A 1674 truck engine has a belt driven water pump but the belts are adjusted buy the fan drive pulley. This is a 4.75 x 6 engine same as a 3306 but has over head cams. Bob

  7. #7kshansen2021-12-09 07:22

    Do you know what that engine would be called if it was in an application such as a genset? Recall rebuilding a small overhead cam six many years back. Forget the details but at first it was decided to not rebuild after it was torn apart and parts were set outside in open bins. Then several months later there was a need for small genset the size this one was. Brought the bins in the shop and actually polished up the cams and sent crank and head out to be gone through by machine shop and put it back together!

  8. #8Birken Vogt2021-12-09 10:17

    1674 is a D334 I think.

  9. #9kshansen2021-12-09 11:49

    That does sound familiar. Tried looking on SIS and it appears to be off the good list as don't see anything. One of the things I find strange about at least some of the old Cat models is the way they were designated. I would think a D334 would sound like a four cylinder and a D336 a six. But it appears the D334 is a six and aD336 is an eight! Guess it made sense to some one.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2021-12-09 14:52

    Well they also had a D333 and that was not a 3 cylinder, I think it was a 4 IIRC

  11. #11Bluox2021-12-09 15:17

    The D333 was a 4.5 bore 6 cyl. and the D330 was the 4 cyl. version. Bob