Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tires

DMiller · 2021-12-08 18:27

TS has hit on this a few times, now MY turn. Shop I run out of has 11x22.5 rubber predominant on power units along with Most trailers, HOWEVER, the Grain Hopper and a few odd assorted others have 24.5 rubber which as of this month have become NON Existent. Tire dealers the boss deals with CANNOT get any form of 24.5, foreign nor domestic where has opted to go on computer searches by the dealers he deals with to get enough to cover current needs from inventories elsewhere.

Replies55
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-12-08 18:35

    I just got off the phone with Les Schwab mgr. They have 24.5's through out the the stores.

  2. #2DMiller2021-12-08 18:36

    Passing that along to my boss.

  3. #3farmerlund2021-12-08 19:17

    No problems getting them here. Yet

  4. #41693TA2021-12-08 19:41

    I ordered a pair of 11RX24.5 tires this morning and should have them early next week. $272.00 each and I'll have some drop ship freight, but my buddy at the tire store did as well as he could. These are "Ironman" branded and IIRC the I-301 series as closely matches my existing tread pattern, and they clean well in mixed service. I went back and forth over the Firestone FS820 series they had at almost twice the cost, but this truck just won't see many miles and certainly nothing but local usage, so going the lesser amount.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-12-08 20:12

    The Tire to stay away from is {Thunderer}. If you have to stutter to pronounce it is probably junk.

  6. #6dieseldog5.92021-12-08 20:31

    $272 is a low price. I was tire shopping when I came across this post. $400 Local tire shop, retread on their casing

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-12-08 20:49

    I buy Yokohama RY023 255/75 22.5 tags $346,00, RY023 295/75 22.5 $368.00. Both real good tires. Toyo 122's 295/75 22.5 $419.00. DC400 drives $385.00. Yokohama 101ZL $435.00 for steer or FS 591 $465.00. That price is mounted.

  8. #81693TA2021-12-08 20:49

    Yes, it is a low cost. We have been friends over 30 years and take care of one another when able. I no longer have my Goodyear contact so need to stay with the Bridgestone/Firestone dealer and their offerings. Thanks,

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-12-08 20:51

    Bridgestone one of the best steer tires. Bridgestone owns Firestone. The Firestone FS591 is actually a Bridgestone casing.

  10. #101693TA2021-12-08 21:27

    I have a set of Yokohama steer tires on my 78 R model with the 1693TA and they were a good smooth tire when I drove the truck up from Louisville, KY bobtail. That engine is very heavy and you feel it when cornering. They are however old being 10.00RX20 size with aluminum rims. I did purchase a 1994 GMC 6500 series used with a 3116 Cat engine and it had Yokohama tires all around but the steer tires were replaced with Firestone, and drives with Goodyear prior to the truck being put into service. This truck drove like a large sports car with very little front end weight. They were fine and smooth when I drove the truck up from Pocahontas, AR but I wanted new tires before depending upon the truck at distance. I also had a set of Ohtsu tires on another rollback, (1954 IH w/DT-466) and they were new with the purchase and wore quite well to about 80K. This truck let the engine go at less than 100K on the clock without warning. The engine was replaced with a salvage yard DT-466 and the truck was rotated through my ownership. As mentioned earlier I always installed the Firestone tires on the steer, and Goodyear tires on the drive axle and/or tag. Never had any low profile trucks and always stayed with "Budd" wheels with ball seat to minimize tire/wheel combinations. A spare steer, and drive tire were mounted and at the ready. None of the truck(s) carried a spare. In the rare occurrence of a flat tire or road service need, home was never more than six hours distant and I'd put a guy in a truck to do the rescue. In all the years I ran, only had a single road service need.

  11. #11dieseldog5.92021-12-08 21:36

    These are virgin tire prices? I can't buy a 24.5 recap for these numbers, I still have to mount them.

  12. #12Truck Shop2021-12-09 07:44

    Yes.

  13. #13Birken Vogt2021-12-09 10:14

    That's funny, I saw those at the outfit next door just this week. I made the joke that when they pop it must sound like thunder. Made in Thailand I think. Strange times strange names.

  14. #14Truck Shop2021-12-09 14:58

    Not a good tire to buy or stand around.

  15. #151693TA2021-12-09 15:56

    Sounds about like Samson. Don't hold up at all in end dump work.

  16. #16dieseldog5.92021-12-09 18:54

    Hancook tires any good? I can buy retreads with a Michelin casing for $400 Or virgin Hancook same tread for $525

  17. #17Truck Shop2021-12-09 19:21

    New Hancook's are ok. But one thing to note-my prices are such because of the quantity we buy and based on national account level. When buying 100 to 300 at a whack tire dealers will adjust quickly.

  18. #18Don.S2021-12-13 22:01

    New steer tires and an alignment were just done on the truck i drive. Sure is nice now but they had to change the wheels too because there was a groove worn all the way around the outer lip of the rim. What causes that? They put some pretty aggressive Michelin 11r22.5 steer tire on. Hopefully they will be nice in the snow. In the snow i sure miss the 12 wheeler.

  19. #19crane operator2021-12-13 22:05

    I've had good luck with hancook's. It would sure be worth the extra $125 to me, to not to have retreads.

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-12-14 02:26

    I take it-it had aluminum wheels. Aluminum wheels do wear out in the bead area, the constant slight movement of a radial tubeless tire.

  21. #2156wrench2021-12-14 10:37

    I have heard the newer Dura-flange aluminum wheels were supposed to help prevent the bead wear. Is that true? I keep forgetting to ask my tire shop

  22. #22Don.S2021-12-14 11:10

    Yup they were aluminum alcoa wheels. This is what the tire guys put on. And no the damage was not me.

  23. #23Truck Shop2021-12-14 19:22

    Dura Flange are better but it only matters if a rig is going to be kept for a long time. If a company has a five year turn over standard aluminum wheels are fine. Most make it to 750,000. Your lucky those have the dished area next to the bead edge-heavier wheel. Wheels that are smooth all the way to the bead lip have tendency of cracking between hand holds and lug holes which are Alcoa's late style light weight wheel. We've had 14 break this year all covered under warranty.

  24. #24Coaldust2021-12-14 20:59

    Oh’ my goodness. Those polished Dub Deuces need some chrome wheel nut covers to be legit.

  25. #25Don.S2021-12-14 21:04

    They have the chrome nut covers and center caps but i told the tire guys no to put them on. If i need a tool to check the oil level in the hub i wont do it in the dark cold mornings. And i sure wont be pulling off nut covers to re torque wheels. What can i say? I am lazy.

  26. #26Coaldust2021-12-14 21:15

    Mr. Don S., I know what you are sayin’. Knowwhatimsayin? Doesn’t make much practical sense to cover up the stuff you should be checking ever’ day. Just busting your balls. Lol.

  27. #27Don.S2021-12-14 21:17

    Oh im sure it wont be long before my boss has it put back on. French guys love chrome.

  28. #28Coaldust2021-12-14 21:17

    I’ve ran into the new Alcoa’s cracking, too. Thanks to Truck Shop for bringing it to our attention.

  29. #29Birken Vogt2021-12-14 22:14

    They make hub chrome covers with a hole for the oil level.

  30. #30Don.S2021-12-14 22:17

    Thats not french enough it has to be all chrome.

  31. #31Don.S2021-12-14 22:21

    I can say i drove the truck all day today and after a alignment and new tires it drove like a dream untill a intercooler boot blew apart. When the boss gets the bill for the tires and wheel i will let you all know what is costs so you can laugh at our dollar value.

  32. #32Coaldust2021-12-14 23:43

    With our current inflation rate, I’ll soon be filling a wheelbarrow to purchase a can of beans. We can’t laugh too loud here in the states.

  33. #33Truck Shop2021-12-15 07:22

    The worst part about aluminum hub pilot is if they been on too long, especially on a trailer. The road de-icer and salt plus road grit will seize the wheels to hub and you can't remove them. When that happens leave six lug nuts on with a 1/8" gap to wheel. Drive it back and forth and or make a turn to break them loose. I have to do that now and then even sprayed with Knocker Loose.

  34. #3456wrench2021-12-15 09:45

    Aluminum wheels seize to the hubs on my pick-up truck too

  35. #351693TA2021-12-15 10:15

    I have a 96 Dodge one ton I purchased new and rotate the tires annually. The rear hubs have frozen to the wheels each of the 25 years so far..... I usually insert a 2x4 between the tires when the truck is in the air and wedge them apart and I'm not going to say it's easy. I've went as far as a portopower against the spring pack and inner rim to break the inner dual loose. These are steel wheels.

  36. #36Birken Vogt2021-12-15 11:00

    My 97 Ford sticks the aluminum wheels pretty good and they don't even salt the road much around here. I have heard aluminum anti seize can help but it seems like whenever I am changing a tire I have none or am in no position to get some.

  37. #3756wrench2021-12-15 11:54

    When i rotate them, i use a flap wheel on a die grinder to clean the corrosion off the pilot area on the wheel and then use anti-seize on the pilot area. Calcium is used on the roads here in the winter and they still corrode in the pilot area even after using anti-seize but not as bad

  38. #38dieseldog5.92021-12-15 19:57

    I took delivery of 2 new Bridgestone 385/65R22.5 And ordered New Firestone 24.5's traction tires, on back order should be delivered sometime in January. No retreads.

  39. #391693TA2021-12-15 22:00

    Yes, used to do that myself but they still do the same. Last October I used a product used on aircraft engines designed for extreme heat so we'll see how it does.

  40. #40terex herder2021-12-19 14:08

    Just thinking, I wonder how noalox for aluminum electric wiring would work?

  41. #41skyking12021-12-31 14:10

    Thank you for the reminder about anti-seize. I have my steel wheels with studs on the truck now, but the aluminums will go on soon enough.

  42. #42dieseldog5.92022-01-04 10:14

    Had some tire conversation with a friend in the for hire dump truck buisness, he swears by the Michelin XDS claims he gets twice the life out of them even though they are more money he has no issues compared to other tires.

  43. #43Truck Shop2022-01-04 16:32

    Michelin makes good doughnuts.

  44. #4456wrench2022-01-05 12:29

    On my trucks the Michelins start cracking the sidewalls after 5 or 6 years. The Bridgestone casings seem to last better in my opinion because i get them re-capped with Bandag's on the drives or trailers

  45. #45Truck Shop2022-01-05 17:14

    Ring Tread caps.

  46. #4656wrench2022-01-06 10:46

    I've had good luck with the bandag eclipse re-caps but i don't run in hot weather like they do down south and i check tire pressures regularly. Plus, i didn't put on a lot of miles per year

  47. #47suladas2022-01-06 16:45

    Since we're on the subject of tires have truck CVIP coming up and looking at tires, first picture last year they said it was borderline, they wanted me to swap tire to inside dual so it didn't show, but ended up letting it go as is. The second picture they never said anything about the tire, yet it looks pretty similar to me. I can't see where they got any worse in the last year. Should I replace them? I don't want to run them if i'm risking a blowout, but I don't want to waste money replacing tires that are just fine either, especially with how pricey they are right now if they will go a few more years. Just want another opinion on them before inspection as everyone seems to have a different opinion.

  48. #48crane operator2022-02-17 19:03

    Well, there are some shortages here too. I wanted 4 hankook DM04 drive tires in 11r22.5 to match up to another set of 4 on a set of drives. The local distributor for hankook said he is backordered on those, and said he wouldn't lie to me, by telling me when he thought they would get some. I went with a different tire, so not really a big problem. I also need to put a full set of drives on a different set of tandems, that crane runs 315/80r22.5's because of the weight load. The tires on it have tons of tread, but it came out of vegas, and the sidewalls are showing a lot of weather checking. I'm sure the sun/ heat out there ate them up. Anyways, called around looking for all position tread drive tires in 315's - "Don't have any, can't get any, if you find any you better buy them"- is what I was told by one wholesaler, he said every line that he handles is backordered in that size, and he didn't know when he would get any. They are a wholesaler that distributes to the retailers- and sells a little on the side to locals. That shook me up a little, can't have a crane sitting still because of no tires. I found 8 from my local tire shop (who had quite a bit of availability for that particular tire), and went ahead and got them ordered, he says they are in stock and will be in the first of the week. They were just under $500 each. I also ordered a set of 4 17.5 x 25 for my galion. Bias 16 plys. They've been kinda junky for a couple years on the galion, but we don't run it much, but eventually the bill comes due. This is what the sidewalls are doing on the 315's. They are continentals, and have a ton of tread left, I just don't want to fight what summer weather and the high load is going to do to these.

  49. #49DMiller2022-02-17 19:28

    Ozone burn and dried down.

  50. #50Truck Shop2022-02-17 21:25

    That's typical dry rot in a rubber product.

  51. #51Shimmy12022-02-17 22:08

    Just bought a set of tall 22.5 General HD 2 drive tires yesterday. $500 and I have to mount. I bought a set of lo 22.5 General Ameristeel back in December for my RGN tractor for $460. All we can get around here for drive tires are General, Sailun, Roadmaster, Double Coin, or Hercules. Lots of guys are running Roadmaster, but they need to be rotated often or they cup out.

  52. #52dieseldog5.92022-02-18 07:49

    Started tire shopping Thanksgiving, Bought 2 Bridgestone 385 steers and received them January 1 with a set of Skidsteer tires. Went back and forth on caps and Virgins, and different brands, looking at Michelin and Firestone. Settled on Virgin Firestone FD 663, Origionally ordered 4 for one axle, when they delivered 4, the sales guy had set aside 4 for me, and another 4 if I wanted them, they have 2000, on back order, so decided to take another 4. Decided to be done with it while supplies are there, 10 new tires, will get fresh brakes when changing tires, and be ready to go. When road bans come off. Pay me now or pay me later. As long as I can keep from cutting a random tire we should be good to go for a while.

  53. #53Tenwheeler2022-02-18 22:13

    From the pictures I see no concerns to running those tires.

  54. #54Coaldust2022-02-19 14:23

    What’s the date code on those tires? I would also take age into account when considering the sidewall ozone burn, dry rot, checking, etc.

  55. #55suladas2022-02-19 16:53

    That's what I figured and shop passed them for inspection, but that they are borderline and if they didn't have so much tread on them, or the truck seen a lot of miles wouldn't pass em.