Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3306b

AJsOffroad ยท 2010-01-08 19:18

Hi we are looking at purchasing a 1990 Peterbilt with a Cat 3306b engine in it. Was wondering if any one had any specs and/or any complaints or problems with this motor. Thanks AJ:usa

Replies10
  1. #1LonestarCobra2010-01-08 19:45

    The 3306 is an excellent engine. They are a little bit small for a truck that grosses 80,000 lbs, but work well in bobtail dump trucks and mixer trucks etc. JMO

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2010-01-08 20:57

    3306 Great engines, they dont have great power, but unless you are in the hills, thats shouldnt be a major problem. I have one in a quad axle dump truck and it does a good job. Now major issues, that I can think of and I have owned about 8 trucks with this engine

  3. #32109 Stang2010-01-09 02:04

    My only complain with the 3306 is low power .

  4. #4AJsOffroad2010-01-09 12:24

    Thanks for the replies guys. When you say "low power" what does that mean? I found a spec sheet for Cat engines and it gives 4 different options for the 3306b. 245, 250, 270 and 660 hp. Kinda weird that one is 660hp. Here is the link. http://new.adieselengine.com/general_engine_specs.htm The truck is a dump truck and we don't really have any hills around here.

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2010-01-09 12:58

    3306 I know they make different 3306 hp engines, but all I have ever owned were 300hp. They had all the power the truck needed and were good on fuel. One of my trucks had a 3406 engine and they ran together, did the same work, made the same money, but the 3406 would burn about $20+, more fuel a day I think what most people means by low power is that its just slow to get up to speed. They are good engines

  6. #62109 Stang2010-01-09 16:49

    What I meant by low power, it took a little longer to get up on speed ,I had a Cummins C 8.3 250 hp and it would get up to hi way speed easier than a 3306 300 hp with comparable gears ,I will compare the 3306 to a 671 Detroit , compare to a 3406 it will be better on fuel on level ground , we had 10 concrete mixers with 3306 ,three of them were converted to ten wheeler dumps, they will work if your not in a hurry ,I don't remember having ever to do any work on them in ten years they were also low miles truck around 40k a year.

  7. #7AJsOffroad2010-01-09 16:50

    Our lowboy and another dump truck of ours has the 3406b and they seem to be good engines.

  8. #82stickbill2010-01-10 12:04

    I think the 660HP is a type O.Look at torque.With 660HP the torque should be a lot more.

  9. #9tdozer2010-01-13 08:22

    Could the 660HP 3306 be a Marine spec motor?

  10. #102stickbill2010-01-13 17:01

    Might be but still think the torque would be higher.Plus I think they would have put for Marine use in the details.