Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Quad dump truck

Willis Bushogin ยท 2010-01-10 13:03

Im looking for a quad or quint dump truck, mine was totaled last week by a stupid move on the drivers part. I am located on the east coast of NC, so I need something close to my area. Looking for something around $20,000, if it has problems I might can deal with it, as long as the price is right. You can send me a PM or list it here. I have found one that is close but the price is not right, but if I dont find anything by 1-15-10, I will have to buy that one Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1Red Bank2010-01-10 20:19

    Willis, if you find anything in trucktrader.com near Greensboro, High Point, or Winston-Salem please pm me and I will definitely go check it out for you and let you know if it is worth the price. Just let me know and if I find something I will pm you.

  2. #2Red Bank2010-01-10 20:21

    The Kenworth is not the one that was totaled, is it?

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2010-01-10 20:40

    truck No it was the 2000 Sterling quad

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2010-01-10 20:45

    truck Thanks, I have called almost everyone, I can find a number for, either its a total piece of junk or they want a arm and a leg. I would think that the ecomony the way it is there would be lots of trucks out there. I got up a guy that knows someone in Charlotte, that has a Peterbilt with a bad engine, but he cant get up with him. I might be going to Atlanta to look at one on Monday Thanks again

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2010-01-16 20:31

    quad OK guys, I bought one finally. I drove 10 hrs to Atlanta, Ga to buy a truck and the truck was a piece of crap and the guy went up $2500, boy was I mad. I bought a 93 White/Volvo quad 18ft bed, low miles and clean clean truck, with a high lift gate. I dont like Volvos, but the price was right. If you look hard enough you can find some good deals

  6. #6cps2010-01-17 17:25

    Offers like that are what make this forum so Great!! Very kind of you Red Bank:drinkup

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2010-01-17 17:43

    quad Thanks, I found one kind of local, after a boomer of a trip to Atlanta

  8. #8D5G2010-01-17 21:35

    Willis, any pics of the new truck? How do you like it so far?

  9. #9Willis Bushogin2010-01-20 21:09

    T-Ride suspension, dump truck I tried to start a new Thread, but I guess for some reason, Im not doing it right, so Ill piggy back my other thread I just bought a 1993 Volvo dump truck with T-Ride suspension. I have never seen this before, has anyone got any comments? I have run the truck, about 300 miles and so far all is good. I usually like the walker beam suspension on dump trucks, but this truck was a great price and the truck was in great condition and a factory dump

  10. #10Bob Horrell2010-01-21 21:01

    The T-ride is a good suspension. It rides pretty good for a spring suspension, but is expensive to repair.

  11. #11RocksnRoses2010-01-22 21:21

    Willis, we have two trucks with that suspension, our conventional cab has the two thick leaf springs and the cabover has a multi leaf spring pack. One truck has done nearly 1 million kilometres and the other one has done 1.3 million kilometres. The only thing we have replaced is the "V" stays on the cabover truck and we only did them recently. I never did like the walker beam suspension, I would have the Volvo suspension every time and from my experience you will have no problems with it. The early Volvos used the Hendrikson beam suspension, but then they went to the T-ride on all of their trucks, up until airbags were fitted, well that is DownUner, anyway. RnR.

  12. #12Willis Bushogin2010-01-23 16:42

    T-Ride suspension, dump truck Thanks for the info, that makes me feel better about getting this truck. The Walker beams are good in my area, when we go off road, but they are rough riding. I have replaced the bushings in the old style before and I promise you, I wont attempt that again. My other trucks has the bolt in Walker beams and they are not that hard to remove. The cost for the old style for a shop to do everything, is around $1800, I say thats well worth it. The T-Ride doesnt appear to be very labor involved, like the Walkers. I have hauled about 50 loads of sand and one load of asphalt so far, with the truck and its doing great. I have a air lift tailgate, that I have never seen before, I will try to post some pictures of it later. It is like a half lift gate, with a cylinder on each side of the body, that stands vertical. They are located inside the side body frame When they come down, they slide into a fixed bracket. Its kinda neat, to see it operate, it doesnt have the locking mechanism at the bottom like a regular tailgate. I cant find out who made this body and tailgate, so if anyone has any ideas, lets hear them Thanks

  13. #13Red Bank2010-01-23 19:20

    Ok, I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting patiently long enough, Willis would please post pictures of the Volvo, pleeeeeeease. I can't take it any more Seriously, I am glad you found a truck that you are happy with, but please how about some pictures?

  14. #14Willis Bushogin2010-01-23 19:51

    quad LOL I am usually pretty good at this picture taking, but Im been busy with getting the truck ready and keeping the others going, I have forgot the picture thingee. I guess if it was a good looking tuck like the KW, I would have taken the pictures, but its a dark green Volvo (White/GMC) not very impressive looking Im afraid. Its turning out to be a good truck, it has the T-Ride suspension (never had this before) semi high lift gate (never saw one like this before) Truck is real clean inside and out I wish it had a little more power (3306) seems like everything Ive been buying here lately has the 3306. Im not complaing, they are tough engines Pictures coming later I promise

  15. #15Willis Bushogin2010-01-24 13:25

    quad dump OK I took the day off so I could get you some pictures. I took some of the semi high lift gate, if anyone knows what brand this is let me know. Now let me remember how to post pictures I think I got it Sorry for the truck not being freshly painted, thats due in a few weeks

  16. #16hvy 1ton2010-01-24 14:29

    Willis, that is a pretty neat tailgate. Can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

  17. #17Willis Bushogin2010-01-24 17:06

    trucks I agree, I have never seen this style before, I have seen the real high lift gate but never one like this. I think I like it, Im really not sure, at least you dont hear the tailgate slamming shut. I hope Red Bank hurries up and looks at those pictures, I went to a lot of trouble, just for him LOL

  18. #18Willis Bushogin2010-01-24 17:31

    3306 low power I still dont know why I cant start a new thread, so Ill high jack this one. I just bought the truck (one in the pictures) 93 Volvo with a 3306D Cat. My other trucks has this same engine and they have more power (loaded) than this one does. The engine has no issues, starts good, idles good, no smoke with a load, runs OK for a 3306 not loaded. No the question, does anyone know how to turn the fuel up on this engine. I was told it was pretty easy, but I dont want to mess with fuel adjustments, with knowing what to do Where you at Red Bank?

  19. #19Red Bank2010-01-25 20:07

    Sorry Willis, I have just checked out the pictures, didn't think you would post them yesterday and couldn't stand another disappointment of logging in and checking to find no pictures . I like the truck, I think you got a great deal. I have not seen a tailgate like that and I have no ideas about turning up the 3306. Thanks for the pictures, we had that style Volvo at the trucking company I worked at, as far as the Volvo parts of the truck, I always enjoyed working on them. They are pretty easy to work on as far as being able to access everything. Easy to replace the clutch or work on the transmission, the only drawback was that our trucks had the rear engine mounts on the transmission, the transmission did not just hang there, but after pulling about 200 transmissions you get used to the set up. How much weight can you haul? I would think that with the low sides of the bed and that much side boards it would cut down on the weight of the truck? What does the truck weigh empty? And thanks for the pictures, after looking forward to these for so long I now realize that my life is empty now and I must wait for you to buy another truck:drinkup

  20. #20Willis Bushogin2010-01-25 20:46

    quad LOL Im sorry I caused you so much pain and suffering The truck carries 21.5 tons, I dont remember the light weight of the truck. I THINK I like the tailgate, it seems neat looking, going up and down. I dont think I will buying a truck in the next few weeks, but if I do I will post pictures