Having an issue with my cat 330BL. I just replaced the main pump and now the motor seems to bog down when under heavy load. I attached a gauge to the power shift pressure port and pressure does not rise under heavy load as it should to destroke the pump. I have confirmed that the proportional reduction valve is working and I have calibrated it. This was done using the service mode. The engine speed sensor was frayed right where the wire entered the sensor. I thought maybe water had gotten into the sensor and it had failed so I replaced it. Through service mode I can see that it is functioning and I am getting a good speed signal. In service mode, 66, which is “fixing the power shift pressure to a set point” I can set the power shift pressure high and the machine digs great. It does not bog down. My conclusion is that the components are working fine and pump is destroking when it receives adequate signal pressure. It must be the pump controller has a problem. Does anybody else have an idea of what else could be wrong? Thank you
Check all + wires that go to the Machine ECM. And check the wire from the Machine ECM to the Power Shift solenoid. If there is poor contact between these wires, this can happen.
Thank You for the reply. I have checked all of the wires and everything seems fine. What confuses me about this is that when I program the pump control (through service mode)to hold a set power shift pressure it will do so. So the pump control seems to be commanding the proportional reduction valve correctly. And the proportional reduction valve shifts when commanded to do so. However, the machine will not do it automatically through monitoring engine speed. I am just wondering if there is a setting or some sort of user error that is keeping it from operating as designed.
Try installing the Machine Control flash file, preferably an updated one.
Sorry, the 330B has a non-flashable Control. Any software changes have to be done by installing an updated EPROM chip.
From what you are saying it sounds like the prv is working properly. Are you sure your engine is up to full power? Maybe a fuel or turbo problem. You can fudge the calibration a little if that helps. Just raise the calibration number at the low and high settings.