Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 330F Track tensioners won’t take grease

Greasyfitting · 2023-04-27 11:28

I have a cat 330f excavator both track tensioners won't take grease replaced both grease zerk valve fittings.It still won't take any grease any help would be appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2023-04-27 12:44

    How much chrome do you have showing on the front of the tensioner cylinder.? Is there a chance that the tensioners are already extended to the maximum.?

  2. #2DEMLONE702023-04-27 12:45

    serial number ?

  3. #3Greasyfitting2023-04-27 12:47

    MBX00148

  4. #4Greasyfitting2023-04-27 12:50

    They look to be inwards but not all they way to where track could slip off. As for the chrome showing the undercarriage is caked with mud and dirt so can't really say.

  5. #5Nige2023-04-27 13:19

    The adjust is not limited by a stop. Put too much grease in it and it will pop out. See illustration below. Try loosening the grease relief valve #4 and see if grease comes out. You may have to track the machine back and forth a bit to get the idler to move backwards. If you can get the adjuster to move back then it might just start moving forward when grease is pumped in. It would pay to clean the dirt off the chrome of the rod so that it does not get sucjed back into the adjuster and seize it up even more.

  6. #6Greasyfitting2023-04-27 13:51

    10-4 I'll try that out. See what happens

  7. #7Shimmy12023-04-27 14:57

    Use the boom and take the weight off whatever side you're trying to tighten. Don't have to jack it all the way up, just enough so the track frame isn't setting tight on the idler.

  8. #8Greasyfitting2023-04-27 14:58

    Found the issue there's so much dirt between the idler and adjuster that it won't move. It's really caked in I think I may have to split the tracks , and clean it out.

  9. #9Nige2023-04-27 15:09

    Would a pressure washer not work.?

  10. #10Shimmy12023-04-27 15:25

    Also, replace the coupler on your grease gun.

  11. #11Greasyfitting2023-04-27 15:34

    Company doesn't have one , and I don't think the angle would reach where I need it to.

  12. #12Nige2023-04-27 15:54

    A selection of long blunt screwdrivers/bars and a lot of patience in that case. I don't think I'd contemplate splitting the tracks to clean out around the tensioner even in my wildest nightmare.

  13. #13greasynails2023-04-30 19:43

    You don't want to waste your time cleaning out any dirt on the idler or idler rails. You're going to find the end seal on the adjuster piston has been damaged/leaking and you have a bunch of rust and dirt in the section between the outside end and the 2 grease seals. The corrosion and rust jack will be so bad you'll never get the 2 pieces apart. You're going to need a whole new assembly

  14. #141693TA2023-04-30 20:21

    Had the same problem on my 11B tractor. I could pump with my Milwaukee cordless grease gun till it stalled but the idler would not move and the track remained loose. A port o power against the idler bracket and track release housing with just a little additional force coupled with the grease gun pressure busted it right loose. Seals do not leak afterward but I'm going to disassemble the assemblies regardless to replace the chrome rods which are deeply pitted from being encased in wet mud for years.

  15. #15Johhnycanuck2023-05-01 20:31

    It’s a Common problem on the newer cats for the piston to seize inside the barrel. Can you get it to retract when you open the grease valve? I’ve got an adapter so I can pump them out with my porta power if I need to

  16. #161693TA2023-05-01 20:38

    That was the problem with mine also; piston stuck in the idler support bracket and not being pumped up for almost a dozen years. Right track tensioned right up properly but the left was frozen in place. Once broken free wiith the grease and porto power, it will slide to and fro without issue. The piston rods however are too pitted to retain seals or guide bushings so all is to be replaced.