Ok.......I'm at a loss on this.......need some feedback. CAT 336D W3K0791 Machine has 15,480H on it. Back in May I was told to put a new oil pump in. Did that, test ran it, cold was getting 70 psi engine oil pressure. 15,285H on the engine. New engine oil and filter after I was finished. 15w40 semi synthetic oil used. Last week I was called and I was told there is low engine oil pressure warnings coming up when the machine gets hot. I'm starting to piece together what has been going on. January the ECM was replaced.......hours on engine ECM are 581H...........doesn't correlate with machine ecm hours..........CAT did the ECM. May I did the oil pump, was told it was needed..........didn't ask Y. Previous to that, another guy put a new engine oil pressure sensor in. So today I ran a test gauge from the SOS port at the oil filter into the cab of the machine, hooked up ET, and started testing. Atmospheric pressure reading was 14.8. Cold idle pressure was 80 psi-GREAT!! Got machine nice and hot, held boom in the extended position to load engine. Alarm trips, gauge from oil filter is reading 44psi........I didn't get the ET readings...engine went to idle. Engine idling after alarm: Engine oil pressure 15psi Engine oil pressure (absolute) 30psi Engine oil pressure (gauge) 22psi I changed the oil filter bypass valve and spring and the oil cooler bypass valve and spring. Tomorrows mission was going to be pull the oil pan and inspect pickup tube, bypass valve on oil pump, cooling jets, etc. Now.........since CAT didn't bother to program the ECM w/ the current hours.........maybe the step settings for the oil pressures aren't correct either?? Kinda pulling my hair out. I did run an injection actuation test to see if the HEUI pump was possibly the culprit, but pump seemed fine. How do I see where the low oil pressure settings are at in ET?? I'm leaning towards that right now!! Anybody got any ideas about something I'm missing?? Thanks in advance
With close to 16k hours it's high time it was pulled for an engine overhaul - provided it wasn't overhauled before that is. That engine must be pretty tired by now. My 2c YMMV. All the work listed above that's been done, the engine could have been out by now...........