Hello I was looking for some assistance on an issue that has arisen with my 336E s/n YCE00244. Yesterday whilst the operator was working the machine he called me over as it had started missing, we thought maybe it needed a fuel filters so I swapped them out but it is no better, it also is down on power and black smoking a little under load but nothing excessive. There are no active codes but it has the attached logged codes. Some of the codes have been created due to me swapping over a bad hydraulic lock out solenoid with the travel speed Bush fix job Can anyone help me , thanks in advance ATTACH=full]222215[/ATTACH]
code 5-2 is #5 injector erratic operation
unless you have access to CAT ET all you can really do is check the connections at the valve cover and at the injector for problems
Hi Mark Thanks for your assistance with this, unfortunately we don't have ET but I will check the connections and if this doesn't fix it I will just go ahead and replace the injector , are any special tools needed to remove it whats the best procedure. Kind regards Steve
Bearing in mind you have a current misfire and only a logged code for one injector, I think that to go shooting it with the parts cannon is a mistake. In my opinion getting Finning out to do cylinder cutout tests would be money well spent.
Hi Mark I get your point but the the issue for me is that Finnings charge just shy of £500 plus vat to carry out a diagnosis, a new injector is £650 plus vat its alway a tough one to call. I think ET needs to be purchased
If the code was active then there could be some merit in your proposal, but to go changing an injector solely on the basis of a logged code strikes me as something of a rich man's folly.
and ET can't be easily or cheaply purchased (for construction machines) Try looking for a local contractor with it.
To be fair mate we will be eliminating as many other causes as we can prior to installing a fresh injector eg harness, plugs, pin corrosion etc il probably even swap the suspect bad injector with a good one to see if it brings up a different code im pretty sure we can nail down the issue without a Finning call out
I can't remember the code for a bad injector (something about "spill" or mechanical fault?) on my 336E, but swapping the injector not only required the trim file, but some other test/ calibration was required. Cat tech installed new injector...same fault. Swapped injector from other cylinder...same fault. He spent a two days swapping and testing and was gonna come back next day with two cranes to pull counterweight to swap in new ECM. I intervened and called another tech at the same dealer (different branch) whom I knew had done similar and, begged, please, demanded that my befuddled and frustrated tech not only call in, but, listen to and perform additional test as prescribed by other branch tech. My $8k, 3 day, fiasco for an injector that performed well but didn't satisfy the computer required more yelling, arguing, demanding, and forcing of a tech to eat humble pie than I had ever encountered before. Bill ended up at $1500.