Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3406a hydraulic pump installation

dkline · 2026-07-10 17:00

Hello, I have an older Cat 3406a model engine. I can’t find the serial number, but it does have the air after cooler and direct injection. Probably a later model before the b series. I’m trying to mount a hydraulic pump to the auxiliary power on the timing cover. There is currently no power steering pump or air compressor mounted on the engine. It is used to provide drive power on a custom built dredge. The flywheel housing does not have a port to attach a pump. I only need 5 gpm at 2500 psi. I can see the 2 bolt cover plate that seals off the gear train in the timing covers. What I can’t find specifics on are what drive adapter I need that fits under the 2-bolt mount that meshes with the gear train. If anyone can provide the part numbers or any other helpful info, that would be great.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2026-07-10 17:30

    Does that 2-bolt cover happen to have a Part Number cast into it.? If not find a number on the timing cover and/or post photos. Preferably both.

  2. #2Truck Shop2026-07-10 17:43

    Power steering pumps on A's & B's were driven off the air compressor drive gear. There is a four bolt adapter plate that bolts to drive gear that is splined for small spline power steering shaft.

  3. #3dkline2026-07-10 18:13

    Thanks replying. No, there is not a part number on the cover. However, I do have pics of the cover and the back where I think the air compressor would mount. Can’t find any part numbers on the timing cover. As to the steering pump being driven from the gear on the air compressor, that doesn’t do me any good. It does t have an air compressor. That’s a reply to the other post. View attachment IMG_1279.jpeg View attachment IMG_1283.jpeg

  4. #4dkline2026-07-10 18:16

    Thanks replying. No, there is not a part number on the cover. However, I do have pics of the cover and the back where I think the air compressor would mount. Can’t find any part numbers on the timing cover. As to the steering pump being driven from the gear on the air compressor, that doesn’t do me any good. It does t have an air compressor. That’s a reply to the other post View attachment 362966 View attachment 362968 View attachment 362969

  5. #5Truck Shop2026-07-10 22:48

    Well--that's how power steering pump is driven for on/off highway, by compressor on 3406A/B.

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-07-11 00:46

    Isn't 4N5250 the part number or arrangement number?

  7. #7dkline2026-07-11 09:51

    Yes, it’s a part number for the air compressor cover. Thought it would help. I’ll try finding the engine serial number on the block. Then maybe I can identify which parts I need. There’s nothing under each cover. I’m reading that I need an air compressor block-off plate with adapter shaft. That way I can mount the hydraulic pump. Maybe.