This engine did this once before when I worked for this outfit. I never did get a report of what the shop did that time. What are the typical hours for: re-sealing the pump fixing leaks at the injectors I know they will put dye in a filter and then look for the leak up top first.
Putting dye in the fuel works best if a small external container is used. It needs an inordinate amount of dye to get anything like visible coloration if it's put in the fuel tank, especially if it's close to being full.
Remove the rocker covers use a rag and air nozzle and put a slight amount of air to the holes in the nozzle retainers. If it's thick it's oil if it's thin then the nozzle is leaking.
say I find one or more leakers. What is the fix?
Personally I would replace all 6 nozzles, the white anti burn back sleeve near the tips of the nozzles are probably toast anyways. It takes a Cat special spanner and a adapter tools to remove the nozzles. probably someone can loan you them, it's a easy job. Very common for the nozzles to leak.
I think I will pull the covers and try your air nozzle trick. The oil was pretty thin from the diesel but I imagine it will be really thin by the leakers. If I spot an obvious one, I will have the truck shop do the full nozzle job as you suggested. I don't know anyone I would be comfortable asking for a Cat tool. It would be out of bounds IMO. I can ask for any small Cummins tools as I have been a part of that community for decades, but there is no crossover amongst my friends. It is neither my truck nor money so that's OK The nice thing is the truck shop is backed up till Wednesday, and I have Thurs-Fri off to get out of town. I can drop it off and they can deal with it.
Skyking1, I’d loan you my Cat tools. The nozzle retainer takes a 134-2570 spanner thingy. Some guys use a 5P-0144 socket for the nozzle side fuel jumper, but I just use a 7/8” wrench that I’ve modified. Sounds like you got it covered, anyways.
The truck shop is down a few guys and just got to the truck yesterday. They found 3 leaky nozzles and were getting a quote to rebuild them, and I suggested strongly that they price out 6 new. They will call back today.
I got it back from the truck shop today with six new nozzles. Bill was about $2,300 which seemed pretty reasonable to me. They put nine and a half hours on it but then they backed some out for changing the oil I specifically asked them not to.
Eight plus hours to change all six?
Yes to change all six pull the rack and top end.
Why would they pull the injection pump? Bob
They were star gazing just like you do or at least that's what your occupation is listed as
I meant the jake brake parts. They also had diagnostic time in there, they dyed the fuel and found the 3 bad nozzles. If the leak had not been up top they would have to go to the pump.
Well you said they were pulling the rack and the only rack on a 3406 is in the injection pump. Bob
Rack on Driptroits, Overhead on Cumaparts, Running the valves anything else. All electronics is a Overhead anymore.
One of the things I was going to have the shop fix was the throttle pedal. I crossed that off the list, ordered one from Ebay and got it changed out today. Just a little aluminum corrosion. The truck has had a chronic leak going back years, and I re-sealed the clearance lights and got that fixed when I came back. The moisture had already done it's thing to the pedal. Brake spoon came in handy stuffing the floor mat back under the console.
That will make er’ go! Does it have a Jake Brake?
oh yeah. The floppy pedal made downshifting while braking an impossibility. No way to have a foot on both pedals when the throttle would just go away sideways. Awkward to reach down there and rearrange it while driving