Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Occasional inactive logged code in ecm. cat ET on C12

fatmike · 2021-04-02 18:28

Ever since i bought the truck and cleaned it all up 4 years ago. I keep getting code 34 as an inactive code using the cruise control method of retrieving. ITs my every day work triaxle dump work truck and drive it all day every day. about 3 years ago, computer failed and cat put a new one in, and since then as preventative maintenance, i replaced internal wire harness, external wire harness and all brand new sensors. including both cam and crank. All oem cat products. no aftermarket junk. So i now have cat comm and cat et full dealer. It tells me it is the primary which is crank sensor code 190-12. IT hasnt sensed a fault in over 200 computer hours. But it says OCC 36 next to the first and last logged events. Does that mean 36 times? wth. All brand new harnesses and computer and sensors. So it cant be like i was hitting bumps and causing inactive codes. No the check engine light never comes on becuase obviously truck runs just fine. Your thoughts

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2021-04-02 18:51

    Would you like to post a screen shot from ET of the 190-12 Code.? Make sure it has the ECM diagnostic clock hours on it as well as the occurrences, and clock readings for first & last occurrence.

  2. #2fatmike2021-04-02 18:54

    My dumb ass deleted it already but diagnostic clock was at 2960 hours. Last occurence was around 2700 something. The first was around 2600 or so. If need be, ill keep checking for when it pops up again and take a screen shot

  3. #3fatmike2021-04-02 19:15

    Mr nige, also to ad, i was trying to find a status group that had the primary and secondary sensors listed to read what they were doing, but looks as though you cant read those 2 sensors. none are listed in staus groups. whats up with that

  4. #4Nige2021-04-02 19:37

    Regarding Status Groiups you can create a custom group of your own including any sensors you have a mind to, and give it any name you like. If you have deleted all the logged occurences of 190-12 it's not the end of the World. Hook up to the engine every so often and take a look. If you find any new Codes, print a Product Status Report in pdf form, after doing that you can delete what you like.

  5. #5fatmike2021-04-03 06:22

    Ok and thank you for the information. I’ll be back soon

  6. #6fatmike2021-04-25 18:59
  7. #7Nige2021-04-26 10:45

    Well that has me scratching my head. I'd have thought that there would have been the same number of instances of loss of signal from both #1 & #2 sensors but there isn't. Also if the engine loses one sensor signal it will run fine on the signal from the other one but simply register a Diagnostic Code. Only if it loses both signals at the same time might the **** hit the fan. The only thing I can think of is a harness fault, and my first suspicion would be both halves of the connector between the sensor and the engine harness. There are troubleshooting procedures for those two Codes but the only problem is that in order to troubleshoot the fault the Diagnostic Code needs to be Active. How does the engine run.? Can you recall any instances of "weird" performance recently.?

  8. #8fatmike2021-04-26 18:10

    I agree with you nige. I have been chasing these weird inactive primary and secondary codes since i bought the truck 4 years ago. I should just let it be at this point. I have never had any active codes. When i bought the truck, just my luck, the computer went south. I brought the truck to cat and they installed a new computer and reprogrammed it. That was 2k out the door. Then every now and then, i would check for inactive codes by using the cruise control switch. I would see code 34 and then after so many days, the code would dissapear and then reappear. No biggie, i started with cats recommendation with by passing wires and hard wiring etc. Installed new sensors as well. That didnt work so i went full bore. I replaced the internal harness and main engine harness from cat along with new sensors again. Still saw same problem. So here we are 3 years later, i bought cat comm and et. So i can see in deatil whats going on. To answer your question, when the primary starts acting funny on those hours, i would never know it. truck runs and starts like it should and runs like a beast. I have had on maybe a few occasions where truck wouldnt start on first turn of key. But always hits on second turn of key. So that maybe attributed to that. I would find it hard to believe its the computer but hey anything is possible. At the end of work today, i checked to see if either of those sensors threw a code and they did not. I should just leave it be at this point but dam i wish i could figure out whats causing that. Liike i said. new computer, new sensors and new harnesses

  9. #9Nige2021-04-26 18:44

    Do me a favour & download a copy of the latest Product Status Report (PSR). If you don't want to post it up here then send it to me on a PM.

  10. #10fatmike2021-04-26 20:31

    Im fine with posting it here. Unfortuantley im still a green horn with the cat et. How do i dowload the latest psr? and what is it? im a quick learner. Tell me what to do.

  11. #11fatmike2021-04-26 20:34

    also, i pulled the primary sensor and rotated crank and checked for broken teeth that the sensor reads from or any abnormalities. All look good

  12. #12Nige2021-04-26 21:03

    Hook up ET and click on "Information" on the menu bar. A drop-down menu should appear. The option to create a Product Status Report should be in that menu. See the link at the bottom. There are various options to use when creating the file, I generlly use pdf but I'm not sure if that is the default method or if you have to select it. In case you weren't aware there is a training facilty in ET. Click on the blue icon I have indicated. It takes you through all sorts of training scenarios without it even being necessary to connect to an engine or machine. https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/10/create-product-status-report-download.html

  13. #13fatmike2021-04-26 21:26

    ok and thank you. i will report back