Hi there I am getting 2 generators for my shop 12 x16 and would like to use these generators for backup power cat 3412 700kw and a cat d342 cat they where running when removed does anyone have any experience in these I want to Check them out without breaking stuff and causing me more work and determin what I need I can send pics I was thinking of using the d342 for my truck but I just want to make sure when they took them off line I still need to get them first but what should I look for before I even get started I know gas can turn to varnish and was wondering if I should or able to manualy pump fresh diesel in the system and put oil in the pistons before I try and turn it over
Yair . . . dchevak. Man they are some gen. sets for back-up in a shop! The D342 is slow revving engine quite unsuitable for a truck. As far as getting them going check for free movement of rack and linkages, check all fluids and bar them by hand or bump them over on the starter several revolutions . . . if possible spin up oil pressure before admitting fuel, they may even have a hand pump. I always like to disconnect the air intake and have a piece of plywood handy in case there are any issues with the governors. The 3412 may be fitted with a Woodward which may have an oil level plug but most probably will be topped up from the sump. You really need to get operators manuals but I am sure others will chime in here with some good advice. Cheers.
Yea I have the manual for the d342 but not the 3412 I understnd the basics and alll and glad you came by and said anything I live in Chevak Alaska and google mp it you will see no road in or out I have to have everything flown in I pay 6.50 a gallon of fuel and I charge out the butt just to break even
Yea I have the manual for the d342 but not the 3412 I understnd the basics and alll and glad you came by and said anything I live in Chevak Alaska and google mp it you will see no road in or out I have to have everything flown in I pay 6.50 a gallon of fuel and I charge out the butt just to break even
sorry guys I am a 50 year old hillbilly that lives in the open there are no trees nothing I make mine by the skin of my teeth but wont stop just need a little guidence so I dont have to spend more then I can afford I can by a used 6.5 diesel from florida and will coast me $5,000 grand to send it shipping kills me!!!
Approximately how much electrical load do you have in your shop..? The reason I ask is that a 3412 genset will pump out somewhere in the region of 550-750Kw of electrical power depending on specification. It seems to me that's an awful lot of power consumption for a shop that's not exactly large. As a rule of thumb a genset should always be pumping out at least 40% of its rated power which would be 220-300Kw in the example above. Any less than that is inviting engine problems due to the low load.
well I need to get you guys some pics so you can see what I am talking about for one thing I think the 3412 is missing the controller for the generator that has nothing to do with getting it running but does to geting it working
As Nige said using too big a genset will not be good for the life of the engine powering it. Have you looked into how much load you are going to be using? What other than lights and an air-compressor runs of the power in this shop?
I can't even imagine what it would cost to have those delivered by air!!!
well this is an issue I never thought about everyone I have talked to said to get 2 to 3 time your power consumption because you will always run into needing more power I understand I am talking about a large gen set I could probably power 50 house and my shop for one thing I would like to get them running again and I cant afford 30 to 50 gallons of diesel at 6.50 a gallon I will be ether rebuilding to sell off for a more econmocal gen set or trying to use them in a differnt manner like truck boat or like I said sell off I am intersted in getting them going again so I can make a decision on what to do with them like I said in earlyer post I think the 3412 is missing the panel controller they where set up with each other to run a small village the d342 has no generator just the engine
To be honest something in the 100KW range would probably be more than what you need to allow for increasing usage over time. Something around 700KW was just overkill. The 3412 will burn around 50 gallons of diesel an hour at full rated load and about 35 gallons an hour at 35% load
Is your shop really 12x16 or is it 120 x160?
Or are we talking meters? One more thought off the top of my head, what ever genset you end up using have you considered using the heat in the coolant as heat for the shop? You are paying big bucks for the fuel and it would be crazy to just push that heat out of the radiator into the air outside the shop then have to spend money for more fuel to run a heater in the shop or need to run a larger less efficient generator to power an electric heater.
yea sorry to say my shop is 12 foot by 16 foot I hve a 14 x 40 lathe 2 large drill presses 1 cnc milling machine welders and plasma cutters grinders and such
Yair . . . dchevak ??????????????????? It must be a bloody tardus mate . . . bigger on the inside than the outside like the phone-box in Dr Who. Cheers.
How do we post pics on here
You could power a couple of dozen shops that size with a 3412 without even breaking a sweat...... To post photos look at the line of icons above where you type the text to reply to a post. If you hover your mouse over the 4th from the right a message "insert image" will appear. Click that and follow the menu, it's relatively simple.
Thanks these are from the Chevak power plant running when removed
Yair . . . Unfortunately they're a long way from running now. The generator will need drying and testing and, at best, control gear and panels . . . most likely a rewind, you can't let that sort of gear sit out in the weather. It also looks like the 3412 was hooked into some heat exchanger system and will need a radiator and fan . . . a bit hard to see the configuration of the D342. Big bucks to get them running . . . possible but is it worth the bother? Cheers.
Looks to me like a bunch of parts/scrap, If you can get them cheap enough you might be able to make a few $$. Your little shop sounds like the perfect place to strip these down all cozy this winter!!
Only suitable for boat anchors in their current condition IMHO .......
Yep, a little Deere 4045 genset with a radiator mounted load bank would be just the ticket, and as kshansen says, place it where the fan air blows into your shop space, you won't even need an electric heater that way. Probably sell parts off those two monuments enough to pay for the little generator.
well I will just buy a rebuild kit for $4,000.00 and have a winter project I couldnt fly it in for that price so I talked with avec Alaska Village Electric corp. they said they would be interested in electric buy back so I will see what I can do with it and make a decision what needs to be done to it hopefully it will work out
Had to take a look at the JD Genset and see this: http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/John-Deere-30kW-Diesel-Generator-Enclosed.asp?page=JDE1PH30 Consumption is only 2.4 gph at full load, I'm guessing the 3412 will burn that much or way more at no load. At under $12,000 brand new sounds like a bargain. Now if you could source one a couple years old seems like it would be less money than rebuilding an over sized unit that will need some type of cooling system added to it. But hey it's your money and time and we will be here with advice which ever way you decide to go. I'd actually vote for something of the same output as the JD but with a 53 or 71 Series Detroit! The noise would keep the grizzly bears away! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kato-30KW-120-208V-Generator-Detroit-Diesel-skid-mounted-portable-30SQ9E-/331651422691 Looks very close to one I rebuilt a little over a year ago at work!
Here's an old deuce that would power a shop that size, cheap reliable noisy power :scool, https://anchorage.craigslist.org/hvo/5305490960.html doesn't get much better then that!?!? Btw my home shop is only 12x20, can get pretty tight in there, but better then fixin' out in the weather!!
http://www.cat.com/en_ZA/products/n...eneration/diesel-generator-sets/18321546.html Guessing this is it's newer brother. That's one big gennie for a workshop.
No Detroits! When I rode the tugs, I slept right over the 6-71 auxiliary... like to find the guy that put the engineer's stateroom over the generator! Only turned 1,200 but still.... damned annoying. Especially when the air system developed a leak.. the ten horse compressor motor cutting in every few minutes and that jimmy thundering as it picked up the load was motivation enough to roll out and go looking for the culprit! Morse controls.... feh.
The 3412 will burn around 50 gallons/hour at full load and I reckon a minimum of around 30gph at low-ish loads. The 3412 in that photo is only worth scrap price IMO, because of the way it's been stored since it last ran. When was that BTW, the 19th Century..? It'll be a total money pit to renovate and operate purely because of the way the electrical side has been left completely exposed to the elements.
That sounds terrible, I suppose they had your room where it was on purpose so that you would wake up with any change in sound, just in case there was a problem?? Just cruel!! But if you were only using the little deuce genny when working in the shop, the noise would not be a problem, at least in my world! With the amount of fuel that 3412 burns it makes no sense at all to use it in a remote area unless there is gold involved! 30gph @ 6.50gal that's $195.00 per hr just in fuel!
Better be a good source of gold at that! If the site I checked was accurate today's gold price is around $1,000.00 and ounce, so you better be finding at the least two or three ounces every 8 hour shift just to pay for fuel!
Probably just the way it worked out, the stateroom was closest to the engine room, across from the head, for convenience I think. I also had a mini alarm panel in there to blow me outta my bunk if any of a dozen sensors tripped. In a storm the gearbox level sensors would trip every other wave when we stood on our beam ends... it was an adventure. They say it's like prison, you're trapped in a steel box with a bunch of guys you don't like and in addition there's a chance you can drown!
well I bought them and hope they can find 499 kw cummins kta19g4 and 314 kw Detroit Diesel series 60 I will see if I can move them this week or spring time if I get them over here I will start tearing one down and see where I am with them
Yair . . . Gotcha dchevak. I hope it all works out for you, it takes a big heart and determination to pull on a project such as that. Please keep us posted and put some pictures up from time to time Cris.