Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 345D Engine Stall

marco_mc22 · 2020-08-27 15:39

Hi guys, I've got a CAT 345D with two strange problems: first I've got pressure drop in every cylinders after the excavator is hot with warm oil (about 60°/140F), second I've got engine stall due to some malfunction in the main pump's governor system but only when oil it's over 70°/158F; at this point I noticed that when the engine is stalled by the pump's governor the Powershift pressure goes from 29 bar idle trough 37 bar with boom and stick movement, instead of dropping at about 13 bar. With the bucket it's all ok, no engine stall. Main pumps are new, I found that pilot pressure was a bit low (25 bar) so I raised it to 40bar with hot oil. Can someone helps me? thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2020-08-27 16:32

    There are about 20 different models of 345D. A Serial Number would be a good start.

  2. #2marco_mc222020-08-28 01:28

    You're right: CAT0345DCLKY00366

  3. #3DEMLONE702020-08-28 12:06

    Why did u change pumps ?

  4. #4marco_mc222020-08-28 15:22

    Mistake, I thought they were faulty, the excavator had the same pressure drop and since it has about 12000 hours I decided to rebuild them. Ps: both governors are old, anyway before the overhaul it didn't have any problems with engine stall.

  5. #5Mark2502020-08-28 17:28

    The plot thickens

  6. #6Mark2502020-08-28 17:30

    "before the overhaul it didn't have any problems with engine stall" the full story missing again.

  7. #7John C.2020-08-28 17:51

    Another Murphy's law; "if it works, don't fix it."

  8. #8DEMLONE702020-08-29 02:30

    Who did the rebuilding?

  9. #9marco_mc222020-08-29 03:08

    Thanks for the help. Very useful. A specialist who also did a bench test of them (they also give me a pressure/flow scheme), they rebuilt almost every pump I've disassembled. They suggest me to not replace both governors after they disassembled them and founded they were almost new so I'm sure the main pump/governors are ok. I forgot to mention that also main relief valve it's new, it was replaced before the pump overhaul.

  10. #10LACHAU2020-08-29 05:23