Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 375 on a dredger

chris-law ยท 2009-01-27 18:33

thought you may like to see a few pics of what im driving at the moment and yes i am digging over the track motors , i had no option but to load it on the dredger like that

Replies27
  1. #1cps2009-01-27 18:54

    nice pics Chris, where abouts are you working with the 375 at the miniute?

  2. #2cat 3852009-01-27 20:06

    that would take some getting used to,does it move around quite a bit when u dig?

  3. #3Cletus2009-01-27 21:32

    Are you using a GPS dredging program to keep you on spot? I don't see any grade marks on your dipper stick.How deep are you diging? We tear up the spud pockets pretty bad when we dig with a hoe. Do you have down pressure on your spuds? They look like they could be walking spuds. Are they?

  4. #4chris-law2009-01-28 02:42

    im working on the river thames at canvey island in essex

  5. #5chris-law2009-01-28 03:02

    the boat has gps onboard and i have a prolec digmaster 3 in the cab . im not sure what you mean by walking spuds , they are lifted by winches and then dropped from a height when in position . the barge is moved by winches connected to anchors and the excavator . we are digging 13 to 16 m depth and the barge is quite stable.. its not a nice feeling though when all you can see in front of you is water , I got a big chain wrapped around the bucket when the tide was coming in and my ass cheeks were nipping c bit I can tell you.my next job is on c lack up barge breaking concrete at 19 M deep , any tips ?

  6. #6Squizzy246B2009-01-28 04:46

    For want of layman's terms; "spuds" are big poles running vertically to secure and locate the dredge/barge. A "big steel pole" will be an apt description. In your case they are just behind the excavator port and stbd.

  7. #7chris-law2009-01-28 05:07

    i know what spud legs are , it was the walking bit im unsure of. basically when im ready to move i track back as far as i can and put the bucket on the sea bed , they then lift the spud legs up and i track forewards which in turn moves the barge backwards, they then drop the legs and take the tension on the winches at the rear of the barge

  8. #8EZ TRBO2009-01-29 09:55

    Awesome pics, I'm sure its a fun job for the first few hours then gets to be really repetitive. I know thats how it is with alot of earth moving, more so on large quannity earth moves. Still fun though. Thanks for sharing. Trbo

  9. #9AtlasRob2009-01-31 15:46

    Great pics Chris, good to see you are mounted up again, if you've got all that river to clean out you will be busy for a while

  10. #10chris-law2009-01-31 16:32

    finished yesterday , they managed to bend a spudleg on thursday night . may be off to southampton next week for a month .... ill be breaking concrete 19m under water. you keeping busy mate

  11. #11AtlasRob2009-01-31 16:39

    Ouch! bet that isnt cheap to repair. Breaking blind is hard enough, under water at that depth must be a nightmare, hope it isnt small pieces Back on the M25 on Monday for a week or two, pretty quiet otherwise. Theres a lot coming up, so just hanging on

  12. #12chris-law2009-01-31 16:48

    never used a breaker underwater:beatsme , saw fred gooch before xmas at felixstowe , he has some work on the a12 ans seems to be busy, he has built up his fleet again with mostly new hitatchi machines

  13. #13Dozerboy2009-01-31 18:49

    It isn't to bad if what your breaking is large and you can poke around and get a good feel for what your doing. I never did anything that deep though.

  14. #14chris-law2009-03-15 18:26

    i have been busy on the new job , currently 80 + hours a week , we are breaking concrete on the dock floor at 15 to 19 m . broke a few buckets and a chisel but we now have a good bucket made of hardox

  15. #15chris-law2009-03-15 18:30

    few pics

  16. #16chris-law2009-03-15 18:35

    few more , they tried making a ripper tooth but it only lasted an hor before the shank snapped off

  17. #17chris-law2009-03-15 18:37

    the biggest lump of concrete i pulled up was 9.2 metric ton

  18. #18AtlasRob2009-03-15 18:58

    Great pics Chris, really glad you are busy. Intresting in a strange sort of way also Your right about Fred and the A12, and his additions to the fleet, another lowloader, and a D6T on order I'm led to believe. I was too expensive for the A12 but at least it kept Rob Drawbridge busy. :drinkup

  19. #19JDOFMEMI2009-03-15 19:27

    Chris That looks like an interesting project. I was wondering if you are tied on to the barge? I don't see any lines to the machine. I would be worried about sliding into the drink if I was not tied off. Especially while digging up rocks as big as you just showed us.

  20. #20chris-law2009-03-16 03:29

    your right its not tied to the deck , she don't slide around very much with the double grouser plates . most of the concrete has broke up into 1 to 2 ton lumps , but occasionally a big lump comes up like in the pics

  21. #21Beel2009-03-16 09:38

    hey new guy here, sorry if I sound like too much of a newbie, but I was wondering what was bad about digging over the track motors? I guess on some dirt jobs Ive been on I see it done without a care. Operator probably didn't know either. Thanks!

  22. #22HEO Girl2009-03-16 15:44

    Whoa! >.< Isn't it scary working that close to the water like that . . I'd be freaking out haha I dunno if I could do that.

  23. #23chris-law2009-03-16 16:29

    it is a bit at first , you get used to it though

  24. #24AtlasRob2009-03-16 17:11

    Welcome aboard Beel. you got some reading to do.

  25. #25Johnny English2009-03-17 02:45

    What sort of breaker do you use for under water, I was always lead to believe if you used a normal breaker under water it blew all the seals?

  26. #26chris-law2009-03-18 03:32

    it has a airline connected to stop it blowing the seals

  27. #27chris-law2009-03-19 19:31

    now 10.1