I have a 2006 416E Cat backhoe with serial # arrangement SHA and I am having trouble figuring out what is wrong with the ride control. It has stopped working almost totally, (it still moves up and down about a 1/2 inch). I have checked all fuses, tested the resistance across the solenoids, ( 8 ohms), tested the pressure of the accumulator and it has 280 psi in the system, but still no ride control. Does anyone out there have an idea of where I should look next? It would appear to me that one solenoid or valve is working and the other is not, if thats possible.
I'm thinking you have enough nitrogen left to give you a pressure reading but not enough of it to give you the volume you need for normal travel.
How do I recharge the system if its already reading 280 psi where it is supposed to be at? Is there a procedure to follow while testing/filling the nitrogen, when it was tested it was while the backhoe was turned off and loader on ground.
The specification for the accumulator precharge pressure is 270+/-5psi at 20DegC, slightly less than that at lower ambient temperatures. So your 260psi if it is a genuine pressure would appear to be within specification. To check the pressure this is the procedure before checking the accumulator pressure: - 1.Lower the loader bucket to the ground. Stop the engine. 2.Engage the parking brake. 3.Turn the engine start switch key to the ON position. 4.Move all the control levers various times to all positions in order to release the pressure in the hydraulic system. 5.Turn the engine start switch key to the OFF position.
Question for you Nige, at the time the accumulator pressure was tested I relieved the pressure by moving the levers but not with the key in the on position. Will this give an inaccurate "system" pressure or will it be the same. If it doesn't change the values, any guess where to look next?
Honestly I'm not sure. Try doing it "by the book" and see if it makes any difference to the measured pressure is my suggestion.