Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416 series 2 backhoe died today while running at full throttle. 10amp ignition fuse blew and now blows out all subsequent replacement fuses.

Brad Hansen · 2024-01-11 19:41

please advise

Replies18
  1. #1edgephoto2024-01-11 23:37

    How about posting a wiring diagram so we can give you some idea. If it blows the fuse then that circuit is drawing too much current. Need to find where this is occurring. Without a wiring digram and some details we can't help.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2024-01-12 09:45

    Definitely a short to ground, check fuel shut off solenoid wiring.

  3. #3ahart2024-01-12 09:57

    Brad- post a serial number and we’d be happy to send a schematic your way.

  4. #4Brad Hansen2024-01-12 10:36
  5. #5heymccall2024-01-12 10:39

    From the 1st schematic, the stop solenoid is the suspect. 7W-6249

  6. #6Brad Hansen2024-01-12 10:44

    NOTICE: Prior to the blown 10amp ignition fuse yesterday, beginning about a month ago the loud beep-beep (fault alarm?) would start sounding off on its own, while the backhoe was parked(not running) and key was in the off position. The only way I could get the alarm to stop was to remove the 10amp ignition fuse. Then when I needed to start and use the backhoe I would replace the fuse and start engine as normal. Sometimes the fault alarm would not start beeping when I turned the engine off, but if I didn't proactively remove the 10 amp fuse, it was only a matter of time before the beeping would begin on its own and at all hours, day or night, disturbing the peace. I suspect this was the beginning of the ultimate failure of a component or part. Perhaps a relay?

  7. #7Brad Hansen2024-01-12 10:45

    is there a simple way to test this prior to just replacing the part?

  8. #8Brad Hansen2024-01-12 10:47

    thanks, just posted them

  9. #9heymccall2024-01-12 12:08

    Well, quick and dirty, leave solenoid unplugged, replace fuse, and try to start. If fuse doesn't blow, solenoid is suspect. If you have multimeter, measure resistance across the two terminals on the solenoid, while disconnected. I'd expect at least 20 ohms resistance, BUT, I don't know what actual value is.

  10. #10heymccall2024-01-12 12:10

    No trick to removal and replacement.

  11. #11Delmer2024-01-12 13:03

    If the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't the problem, then I'd look at the alternator wiring, and the wiring harness in general for any chaffing or crushing etc. It looks like this is an older backhoe so probably doesn't have any computer or PCB except maybe in the gauges, I don't know cats. So most likely it's something simple, and the alternator is the other main place where the ignition circuit interacts with unswitched battery power. If it blows the fuse with the fuel solenoid disconnected, I'd wire a head light bulb across the fuse contacts (higher amperage to show a voltage drop) and then go disconnect the smaller wiring at the alternator, then wiggle the harness at different places, to see if you can get the light to go out or at least flicker.

  12. #12Brad Hansen2024-01-12 13:41

    cat 416 series 2, 5pc13582

  13. #13Brad Hansen2024-01-12 13:48

    Well, unplugged solenoid, replaced 10 amp ignition fuse, turned the key on and the engine will now crank over and does not blow fuse. I then checked resistance across solenoid terminals and get only 0.1 ohms. So I believe you are correct! I have new fuel shutoff solenoid, (and 10amp fuses) on order and hopefully this will fix the problem. I will let you know outcome upon parts arrival in a week or so. Thank you, and everyone else, so much for your knowledge and assistance diagnosing this problem!

  14. #14Billrog2024-01-12 14:29

    You can run the machine holding the solenoid open with a piece of wire in the meantime.

  15. #15Brad Hansen2024-01-12 14:34

    please explain exactly, if you don't mind...

  16. #16Billrog2024-01-12 20:55

    Hook the wire to it and tie it open. You can leave it that way to to shut off just idle turnoff key and stall the machine by deadheading a leaver. Or you can just unhook the wire & the fuel will shut off.. When the plunger is pulled the valve is open.

  17. #17thepumpguysc2024-01-12 22:23

    Have u taken the solenoid out yet.?? On the older ones, the guts came out.. Take the spring and plunger out and cap off your wires.. U can now run the machine and shut it off with the other lever on the top cover..(shut off lever) #3..

  18. #18Brad Hansen2024-01-25 11:01

    OK, it was the solenoid. I received new solenoid yesterday(25$ part) and installed it. Backhoe started right up and I got back to digging my septic field trenches! Thank you so much for your help! I love the way people share their knowledge and expertise on these forums. Thank you all.