Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480LL runs only when return line is disconnected from IP??

jtatum · 2024-01-11 18:46

Case 480 ran fine until I changed fuel filters. Started machine up and would run for a few minutes then die did this several times so I inspected return check valve an was clear. Started machine without check valve and it ran fine however very little fuel was coming out of pump and the return line was flowing fuel out at a good rate when removed from check valve.. any help would be appreciated

Replies14
  1. #1MG842024-01-11 19:36

    Make sure the return line is clear all the way back to the tank. My 480e had a similar problem and it was crud in the bottom of the fuel tank stopping up the return line. Cleaned everything out and it ran perfect.

  2. #2jtatum2024-01-11 20:26

    Would the return line still be pouring fuel out if it was plugged?

  3. #3Delmer2024-01-11 20:46

    You sure the check valve is clear? did you blow brake cleaner or air through it? If it runs without the check valve (fuel return fitting on top of injection pump), that's pretty much a sure bet that the flex ring is coming apart and plugging it up. If you find little mouse turds, or coffee grounds, time to contact Thepumguy. The return line flowing fuel from the tank means it's not plugged unless there's a chunk of something functioning as a check valve, but it should still run with the return fitting on and not hooked to the return line.

  4. #4catskinner 102024-01-11 21:58

    "Would the return line still be pouring fuel out if it was plugged?" Yes Fuel coming from injectors. Tom

  5. #5jtatum2024-01-11 22:06

    As a matter of fact it ran decent with the check valve in and return disconnected from it.

  6. #6Delmer2024-01-11 22:58

    Yes, I forgot about that. Unplug or replace the return line then.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-01-12 08:48

    Bits of flex ring will hide in the line at the T of the injectors.. Follow the LINE from the pump up to the T and take apart there.. Hope u find it..

  8. #8jtatum2024-01-12 10:33

    When removing the check valve how much fuel while running should come out of the IP?

  9. #9jtatum2024-01-12 11:49

    One last question When I removed the IP check valve I did not notice a spring in it just a glass ball that maybe only moved a 16th of an inch at best is this normal?

  10. #10Delmer2024-01-12 13:06

    The check valve is fine then, find the return blockage. if the check valve is plugged, it won't run with it in place.

  11. #11jtatum2024-01-12 13:12

    Thank you so much for your time and patience I really appreciate it.

  12. #12jtatum2024-02-17 20:45

    Well I'm back again and I appreciate all the help that you guys have provided me I did have the tractor running for a while now it appears that the check valve is actually plugging up with what I believe is flex ring plastic and I am definitely in need of a rebuild and just wondering if somebody could give me a good source which I believe is the pump guy I just don't know how to make contact with him..

  13. #13Delmer2024-02-17 22:58

    his screen name at aol dot com. If not that, PM him under the letter icon "conversations" at the top right of this screen.

  14. #14thepumpguysc2024-02-18 02:25

    I’m here.. I’m always lurking in the shadows..lol I’ll send u a pm..