Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416 Steering Issue

mikey8 ยท 2014-12-02 12:32

New to this site and also to my backhoe. Learning more as I go but so much more I do not know. Right now I am having a Steering problem. My Cat 416 Backhoe steering will not go to power steering unless I hold the front bucket tilt. Once I hit the tilt, the hoe steers very easily. Without using the tilt, the hoe will hold the steering that it had and I am not able to move it. Basically I cannot turn the steering wheel unless I bump the front bucket tilt. Hope someone cat "steer" me in the right direction. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Dickjr.2014-12-02 15:42

    The first thing these guys will need is it an A, B , C model and the serial number. The power steering picks up flow from the loader valve , this may be a signal resolver issue , but I'm not sure. I know I have had resolver problems and when you activate another function the non working function will work fine.

  2. #2mikey82014-12-02 16:16

    It is just the 416 model. it was the early model before there was any B. I would have to look tonight for the serial number. Are there solvers for the loader like there are for the backhoe? Is it easy access to the loader valve body? i dont even know where anything is. I have put new o-rings on 3 or 4 of the primary resolvers for the hoe and already rebuilt the hoe bucket cylinder. I have a cylinder kit coming for the boom, leaking really bad. I am not afraid to work on it, just dont know where or what to work on.

  3. #3Dickjr.2014-12-02 18:35

    I had an A model , the loader valve should be on the frame right below the loader control. If you look there is a line that runs up to the steering valve, if I recall correctly.

  4. #4Justin 02242014-12-03 01:30

    OK, Hi took off everything right & left tie rods but I still can't get the steering cylinder housing from the axle housing it all one piece

  5. #5Justin 02242014-12-03 01:35

    MY backhoe is a ------/4x4/--- 416C/---- 5YN05740------ is my prefix please help I have a manuel but it does not show me how to take it all apart (is there any set or locking screws) because it is in there good

  6. #6Dickjr.2014-12-03 08:18

    Justin do a search on your steering cylinder or start another thread. I know there is a thread about the steering cylinders on a 416C.

  7. #7mikey82014-12-03 08:29

    Thanks Steffani, I will check those out. thanks to all for information to help me !