Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 416b 1995 4wd issuses

mark z ยท 2016-01-31 13:58

New to forum. 4wd not working. Wire #143 going to the 4wd switch has 13.5volts when tested, however when I add a test light to it the voltage drops to zero. Don't understand why it drops to zero and not light the test light. Thanks mark

Replies4
  1. #1Deon2016-01-31 16:01

    Probably have a bad connection at one of the terminals. Bad/corroded connections carry good voltage but bad amperage. That's why it won't run your light and the 4x4 solenoid. And it can be a bad switch or relay. In any case you have a weak connection somewhere.

  2. #2mark z2016-01-31 17:31

    Dion thank you for the quick response. That makes perfect sense to me. As far as the relays... there are 5 in the dash. One on one side and 4 on the other. I looked at the schematics and I couldn't tell which one to change so I bought a new relay #3E9362 and I swapped them out with the new, one at a time. There was no change. There is a toggle switch on the top of the transmission thats operated by the shifter. Do you know if it has anything to do with the 4wd. Thank you mark

  3. #3Deon2016-01-31 17:53

    There is a toggle switch on the top of the transmission thats operated by the shifter. Do you know if it has anything to do with the 4wd. Thank you mark[/QUOTE] Not sure what you mean by a toggle switch on top of the transmission. If you mean the drive cutoff switch on the shift lever. No that switch has nothing to do with 4x4. I would start under the machine at the connector that powers the 4 x 4 solenoid. That connector is outside where it gets wet and dirty. If you have trouble getting it to connect, just cut of the connector and solder the wires and shrink wrap them tight.

  4. #4mark z2016-01-31 18:23

    Deon its dark in Mass. I will check all the connections and check for corrosion soon. Also thank you for the volts and amperage info. It got me really thinking. I will let you know what I find when I do. Mark