Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416B back hoe – rear end

BradyA ยท 2012-05-02 12:54

Gents, I recently purchased a used 95' back hoe. A noise was noticed in the rear end while travelling at a high speed. Speaking to a local mechanic, he indicated to me it could be the pinion bearing. I'm familar at all with drive tran work. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for the cost associated with the repair or possible overhaul. It seems the entire rear end needs to be pulled in order to make the fix. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem? Thanks, Brady

Replies1
  1. #1topmechanic732013-12-16 16:58

    yes I have had this problem. the fix is very easy.disconnect the driveline. remove the parking brake.remove the bolts holding the pinion in.and all can be removed.replace the bearings and put back together. it takes about two hours to complete