Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 416b front bucket quit curling down

deuce63 ยท 2015-01-25 22:28

Hey guys. I was doing some clearing on my property today and the front bucket dump position went away. It just went directly curled to the load position. The 1996 416b backhoe is mechanically sound with 4100 hrs. All hydraulics are functioning except the front buckets unload position. It went straight to load position and it's stuck. I swapped the hoses and that got it to go directly to the unload position and it locked. I also removed the right wheel to give me access to check all my resolvers on the control valve. Three on the side by access through the frame holes and two on the bottom of it. All orings were intact. I'm stumped at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Joystick does not push to the right ( unload position). Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-01-25 22:35

    Check the bucket leveler linkage, it will jam up the control. Later Bob

  2. #2melben2015-01-26 08:22

    Although a Case man I agree with Bob, On Case the anti rollback rod can get tight in it's bearings just above the Hydraulic tank and similar problems develop. Does the lever seem stiff in one direction or is movement normal in both directions? On Case sticky linkage makes pulling the bucket lever toward you very stiff, maybe these thoughts will give you something to go on. Had a couple Ls that the snap ring came off the magnetic detent on the bucket spool and cause problems.

  3. #3deuce632015-01-26 11:31

    Joystick only moves toward the left like the rod is fully actuated up and will not move toward the right which curls your bucket down. Seems to me its only seeing pressure in one direction and not both which allows the joystick to actuate in both directions. Will look into suggestion. Thanks!

  4. #4deuce632015-01-26 22:41

    I'm able to see it move when it is raised. Should the lever be able to be moved by hand? I couldn't move it in either direction.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2015-01-27 05:06

    It should be able to move freely when the arms are down, movement is restricted the higher the arms go. Look at the tube/link down to the bucket linkage, see the lever it connects to that pivots on the arm pin. It moves a lever under it that connects to a rod that restricts the spool movement. Make sure the lever is free through the frame and linkage pins are free. Later Bob

  6. #6deuce632015-02-16 20:36

    Finally had a chance to work on it. A $8.00 spring and clip on the control valve was keeping the bucket from curling.

  7. #7deuce632015-02-16 20:59

    Appreciate it guys.

  8. #8BigTree2015-02-17 01:34

    How were you able to diagnose this? Just curious, thanks!

  9. #9melben2015-02-17 09:18

    Glad you found it, that is exactly the failure I described to you in my original concerning the Case SLs.