Hello all, I just purchased a 94 416B 4x4 backhoe. It was delivered last night and of course this morning I'm all over it. Could use a little help figuring out a few things. 1)Where do I check trans fluid level and do I check hot and running? 2)I found fill for hydraulic fluid in front of radiator...Do I put hoe in transport position, relieve pressure and fill to neck of tank? 3)Has a set of belts that are loose and bad shape...Any tips on changing them. 4) Anyone know where I could find a service manual for less than $4-500? 5) I took a picture of a small leak. It's in the pic with oil fill cap. Looks like hydraulic fluid and is seeping out from seam of block and front portion of engine (sorry I lack technical term) I placed a small stick to point at leak area. Model-8ZK06468 Serial-5HK26374 4460 hrs
Your best bet initially would probably be an Operation & Maintenance Manual. About $50 to download for Cat. It contains all the basics you will need for periodic maintenance. If you would like some help to download one shout out and I'll walk you through the process. A genuine new Service Manual for your machine is $400 in CD format, $725 in paper. When dealer labour is priced at $150/hr that's about 3-5 hours, so the first time you use it for something major you're saving money. Also if you ever sell the machine you could sell the manual separately for probably what you paid for it and get your money back. If you want to look on auction sites search for Publication Number SENR5800. Here's one example. Sellers are proud of these manuals because they know exactly what a new one costs....... https://www.ebay.com/c/1333839455
Thanks for the info. Your right, for now I just need capacities, types of fluid and maintenance intervals...
OK, here goes. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU6414 in the box and click Search. You should see the illustration below. Downloads are available (almost) immediately, CD & paper versions attract S&H on top of the prices shown. If you buy a download using a CC, then when you receive an email informing you that your file is available click on the "Login" button in the top RH side of the screen just to the left of the shopping cart icon. A popup will appear - at the bottom of it is a clickable link titled "Manage Orders". That's where you go to find your downloadable file.
Thanks for your time and help. Does it matter that my tlb serial number is 8ZK0 instead of 1? Maybe it means 8ZK00001 and up
Got it in one...... 8ZK1-Up is Cat shorthand for 8ZK00001-Up. That manual is the correct one for your Serial Number.
Gotcha... thanks.
Kudos to you. Most people don’t get it until it’s explained to them in words of one syllable. You figured it out for yourself, all you needed was confirmation that your assumption was correct.
Ok I'm about to loose my mind I can figure out the rest of my questions but how do I replace the fan belts...please From some searching it looks like I will have to remove fan guard and worse...remove harmonic balancer and pump on frame. Could this be true?
It's rare to have to remove the hydraulic pump but you will have to disconnect the pump drive and make a gap big enough to slip the belts through. Looking at the parts breakdown it seems that you may have to remove the four bolts #2 that connect the coupling to the crank pulley, loosen the clamp bolt #1 and slide the coupling up the splines on the pump shaft. Ad yes, you will need to remove the fan guard.
...well I'm gonna go for it. I've already got half of the fan shroud removed so belt should be easy enough there. I just got all four bolts loose on the pump coupler. Looks like there is an Allen head bolt that sinches the coupler where it is split. I'm going to soak that bolt and the pump splines with a penetrant and then try to back it off the pulley a half inch. Also I am leaving the coupler bolts threaded in place a couple turns so I don't have to realign. If someone See's something I'm doing wrong...please stop me before the am. Thanks and I'll try and get pics
Thanks Cmark, I appreciate your help. Just saw your post after writing mine. Looks like I'm headed in the right direction.
Kroil is some of the best penetrating oil I have ever used. Worth buying some.
Thanks. I ended up using some I had on a shelf. It worked on the Allen head and now I have the pump shaft soaking in it. I had to use a t- post for leverage on the Allen wrench and it worked!
After soaking pump shaft splines in penetrant overnight I started moving the coupler onto the shaft. I first used the boxed end of a wrench to pry between pulley and coupler. I gained about 1/8" and then switched to a go devil head and a 2lb hammer. I just kept going around the coupler so it would not bind. I got it back far enough to remove the belts.
got it finished and all went pretty well. lining up the bolts was a bit tough. I had to lift the nose of the pump with a ratchet strap and then thread in the 4 bolts. I used a oiece of wood and multiple prybars to push the coupler back against the pulleys. Once it started moving it slid pretty easlily. The penetrant I used was ballistol and it did wonders on breaking everything free.
Do you recall what size Allen that was for the pinch bolt ?