Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310SE exhaust smoke

Nick G ยท 2020-05-10 10:34

Good Morning Guys, I bought my used 1998 310SE last year. It now has 5572 hours on it. It starts and runs very well. No strange sounds, no leaks, (knocking on wood) no excess smoke, typical at first start up and clears right up. Everything seems to be in operating order. The engine doesn't seem to use oil on 100 hour oil changes. The machine is working really well. When I go downhill, not under load, (for example, going down the road, let off the throttle while slowing down) it seems to blow a light gray to medium gray smoke. Under load, occasionally blows black smoke but not very much. I have to be really lugging her down to get her to smoke under load. Just sitting and idling, or at constant engine no-load speed, no visible smoke. I'm looking to the diesel engine experts here, any concerns with this no-load smoke gray smoke? Is this typical of the JD 4045T engines or should I be looking for problems coming? Thanks! Nick

Replies15
  1. #1Bls repair2020-05-10 10:42

    How is air filter?

  2. #2Delmer2020-05-10 11:36

    The only problems you should be looking for coming are from boulders like that in the bucket. That smoke sounds good to me, the injection pumps just aren't designed with coasting in mind. They put lots of study into timing vs speed vs load, but the "backside" probably doesn't get any attention.

  3. #3Nick G2020-05-10 20:44

    Good thought, only filter I haven't yet replaced since buying it.

  4. #4Nick G2020-05-10 20:45
  5. #5Nick G2020-05-10 20:46

    I was hoping nothing concerning, we had all diesels on the farm and don't remember any of them doing that.

  6. #6dieseldog5.92020-05-10 20:58

    I wouldn't worry, Those engines in 98 weren't super clean, they had a turbo setup to clear out the exhaust, but there was no smoke limiter or fancy stuff. If you ran the equipment on the farm, i assume it was someone elses, you didnt have a dime in it, however I find when I have bought equipment I am more convcerned with some knock, creak, or smell. On a side note, I just bought a timberjack with a detroit, it smokes at idle, also smokes on acceleration, deceleration, and when you shut it off it still smokes for a few minutes, and an added bonus leaks oil. 310SE is a good machine.

  7. #7Nick G2020-05-11 21:14

    dieseldog, thanks for the thoughts. The equipment on the farm was ours, and we took care of stuff very meticulously! That's why I look into very little thing. I like to head off problems before they become problems! Sounds like I shouldn't worry about the smoking on this one. I really like this rig. I do wish it went down the road with a little less rocking though HOLY MOLY! Every little bump sends the teeter totter in motion.

  8. #8Nick G2020-05-12 08:59

    On the whole smoke thing, I checked my air filter, looked brand new. I'm not losing antifreeze so I'm not worried about a gasket leaking either. Doesn't use oil and the oil looks and smells normal. No moisture building up on the inside of the filler cap. I suppose I could send in an oil analysis but I think I'm going to run her for a while and monitor. Performance is great, lots of power, starts very well. Thanks for the feedback all!

  9. #9Fred from MO2020-05-12 10:45

    Havent noticed on mine, but will keep an eye out for what you have described.

  10. #10boone2020-05-12 13:58

    LOL, I didn't even attempt to get out of 3rd gear on the way home for that reason.

  11. #11Fred from MO2020-05-12 14:02

    Do you guys have "Ride Control" on your machines? I do and I haven't used it yet. According to my 30 year backhoe veteran, its supposed to keep the bucket from bouncing with a load in it when you travel around from place to place? I put mine in 4th gear once and it was OK. I have to say the air adjust seat is much nicer than my recliner at home!

  12. #12boone2020-05-12 14:30

    Man, you have all the fancy options! Ride control and air ride. Your machine must have been $100k when new. I have the base base model. I read about the ride control in the manual. Suppose to cut down on the bouncing I guess by varying pressure in the loader cylinders? I'm sure it makes a big difference.

  13. #13Fred from MO2020-05-12 14:34

    Yeah it sounds nice, but I hope its not like having a Cadillac and a Chevy where all the fancy stuff quits working as it gets older but the old crank up windows don't ever break.

  14. #14Nick G2020-05-12 17:22

    I read about ride control too, mine doesn't have that option. Sometimes I'll scoop up a bucket full of dirt before I go to balance out a little.

  15. #15dieseldog5.92020-05-12 17:59

    When ride control is on, the boom is tied to an accumulator, which gives the boom some shock absorbshon. The boom will drift up an down going down the road with the bumps, make sure going down the road you are in 2wd, large loaders bounce partly because they are all wheel drive, they make a disconnect to solve some of that.