Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416B repower?

Dirtyjoe ยท 2012-12-05 02:33

Thanks for accepting me to the forum! I have a cat 416b with a blown motor. Can't afford a used Perkins 3054, what do you guys think about droping a ford 302 in that bad boy, got a e-stick, like so just a torque converter, can make a conversion plate.." but what about the hydro pump off the front dampener? Not a SAE bell housing,any thing convert to this.. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1xcmark2012-12-05 03:44

    The correct motor is your best bet , resale and BS trying to rig some gas motor that doesnt have as much power and the same RPM range just is not a good idea. Sorry

  2. #2Curbster2012-12-05 10:38

    I can't help but agree with xcmark on this one, as I don't think you'd ever iron out all the bugs. A gas-pot won't have the grunt that a diesel has anyway. If you really put some time into searches on line and feasibility of rebuilding original motor it would probably be a better route to take. Maybe a different cat diesel motor would cross-fit? I can't imagine my 426 with a gas-pot!

  3. #3Lee-online2012-12-05 16:38

    A 302 is a much wider and longer engine. Just not worth it. whats wrong with your engine? 3054 are used in many machines and pieces of equipment. You may get lucky and find a used one.

  4. #4Dirtyjoe2012-12-06 05:47

    Thank you for all the replys. Org motor piston came apart hole in the cyl wall. It's mushroomed the liner in the cyl so I'm having trouble getting that out,head needs guides,valves,springs,surfaced,rockers need ground. And on top of all that it's been out side in the weather for 2 years. Lots people want to buy it and scrap it,but I don't wan't to do that,do I?

  5. #5Dirtyjoe2012-12-06 06:02

    Engine serial#5HK02194

  6. #6Lee-online2012-12-06 16:17

    If you can cut the liner out and the block is ok then you should be able to rebuild it.

  7. #7Dirtyjoe2012-12-06 17:50

    Well i gess i better get the freeze plugs and oil gally plugs out,grt it boiled and magnafluxed. What's a good outfit for a rebuild kit?

  8. #8Lee-online2012-12-06 18:49

    Before you go too far, maybe you should go to your local Cat dealer and get some prices on parts. I don't know if you can get the parts directly from Perkins or any other outfit but you may have to spend more than you were thinking of.

  9. #9dwloop2012-12-09 21:34

    Joe, Check out agkits as well if you can get the liner out... http://www.agkits.com/caterpillar-3054-non-turbo-engine-rebuild-kit-2.aspx HTH Dave