When parking your backhoe for winter, do you use fuel stabilizer?
I do not, but I think it more important to crank the thing at least every 2 weeks to let it run for 15 minutes at a minimum. Some will tell you that diesel does not get old, but many others disagree. The best thing is to use it and then add fresh fuel. An empty dry tank is more prone to rust on the inside. Also algae can grow in older fuel. Cranking the machine to let the battery charge and the oil coat all the parts inside the engine is important IMO. Stabilizer might be a good idea, but I never use it. I do use Seafoam occasionally to condition and clean the system.
I use this additive. It has a cetane booster in it. It does make cold weather starting easier. It can be purchased at just about all the farm supply and auto parts stores in my area. http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/default.asp
I would fill the tank completely full to help prevent condensation and add a diesel additive/anti gel---best advice I can give you is to read the sticky over at the Diesel Place ''Diesel additive study'' and choose an additive from the top 10.I use Schaeffer Oil so it's a natural for me to use Schaeffer 2000.
i use power service all year round and its just a cheap piece of mind, i also dont have problems with clogged filters or fuel gelling up or injection pumps going bad so it must be doing something or just dumb luck. but i also start and run anything thats sitting like bowen says.