Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416B retainer nut removal?

bourque59813 ยท 2012-10-29 14:09

I cant for the life of get the retainer nut off the end of my main boom cylinder for my cat 416b. Any ideas?

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2012-10-29 15:33

    Are you referring to this one ? If you are here is Willie59's way to do it. It worked for me.

  2. #2bourque598132012-10-29 15:59

    No I already got the cap off just like the one pictured but i need to get the nut off the end of the cylinder rod so i can replace the seals inside the cap. Wiper seal and so forth. Thanks for the help though!!!

  3. #3Tinkerer2012-10-30 07:42

    A pipe wrench and a 6 foot long pipe on the handle has always worked for me. I am not recommending that you do it like that. The best thing to do is take the rod to a professional hydraulic shop and let them do it. I had a shop do my bucket cylinder rod a couple of months ago and it wasn't very expensive. You may want to read this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums