Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I Lost My Power!

Rocketsled ยท 2012-10-29 19:53

No she didn't hide the remote. Finally after all the cleaning, lubing and all...I have been using the 580e to clear some old logging trails for the last few days. She has been impressive and running pretty good 'cept for the leaky fp at the throttle linkage and thought I would have a bit more power at the backhoe. Haven't checked any of the relief valves yet. Well, yesterday I was moving a good size log with the clam and after I opened the bucket to drop the log I lost all my hydraulic power. I then remembered the hydraulic line I had discovered when I was cleaning and lubing under the machine. It was kinked really bad and so I tried to straighten it out best I could but knew it was damaged and would eventually fail. Was hoping later rather then sooner. So sure enough that line was leaking pretty bad...almost a small stream coming out. Figured I could get her back home to fix her though even if I had to reverse the whole 1/4 mile back and drag my loader. When I restarted the machine I decided to try the backhoe hydraulics and noticed they were weak but moving very slowly so I gave it some throttle and they moved faster but still not normal. I tried the loader again but this time more throttle and bucket started to raise. Had to pretty much give it full throttle to move the loader hydraulics but got the bucket up and then drove the machine back to garage. Seemed to drive and steer normally. Ok, so I looked up the part and to my surprise it is the lower hose (#24 in this diagram: http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-58...R-WITH-ANGLED-CONNECTIONS-0WdU/?#partdiagrams ) which hooks to the same fitting that the oil temp. sensor is in. Apparently it it is a supply/return line for the oil cooler. Please don't tell me the shuttle oil is not isolated from the other hydraulics, such as the loader. I am guessing that it is just bad leak for the shuttle system and I haven't noticed it affecting the trans yet cause the level is still ok. So, what would cause my whole hydraulics system to lose power all at once? Just changed the filter this last week and fluid level is still good. Other then a couple of leaky cylinders, no major hydraulic leaks like a blown hose. Considering it happened when I dropped all that weight and "shocked" the system I am thinking it has something to do with the Main Pressure Relief Valve. Any thoughts on this? All advice is greatly appreciated...ok well most advice.

Replies4
  1. #1Deon2012-10-29 20:58

    Check the shaft that connects the hydraulic pump to the front of the motor. Some models had splins that would wear out and slip.

  2. #2sheepfoot2012-10-29 21:16

    I would check the hyd pump coupler to see if it is stripped out, check the quick connects at the backhoe near the trans rear end also, then i would get a pressure gauge and check the hyd pump pressure at the loader valve, should be 2400-2500 psi. The line leaking is the cooler line for the shuttle, nothing to due with the hyd system loader /backhoe/steering. Your machine should have the parker three spool valve since it has a 4x1 bucket. Once you find your parts brake down, you can check it, measure the screw length after you take the locknut loose if you don't have a gauge. This will get you in the ballpark when you put it back ( need to have a test gauge when doing this). Also check you power-beond, this could cause the problem also.

  3. #3willie592012-10-29 21:34

    The 580SE had a two stage gear pump, one stage for machine functions, one stage for steering. If the steering is working proper, not likely a problem with input shaft as the shaft drives the work equipment pump first, the steering pump is driven by shaft through work equipment pump. Sounds like your problem is either a failed pump, which gear pumps rarely just crap out suddenly, typically more of a progressive wear, or a problem further upstream with main relief or power beyond.

  4. #4Rocketsled2012-10-31 10:38

    Thanks for the help guys. I first took off the cover to the loader valve assembly and located the Main relief valve. I didn't remove it, I just tapped on it with my wrench a little. Then went to rear of machine and checked the quick couplers, they were all tight and no leaks. Then removed front panel and inspected the hyd. pump. Had to pressure wash a good 1/4 inch of grease off of it first. Noticed nothing obvious. Then decided to start machine and check for rotation of the splined shaft. Started machine and saw that shaft was turning in unison with engine speed. No cavitation and no strange noises. Then decided to try controls again just for the heck of it. It's ALIVE! Guessing the load check or Relief Valve was stuck and fixed itself with a little wrench tapping. Hope so anyways. Cheers!