Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416c 4×4 not working… any insight, or known problems?

ctheddy ยท 2011-01-21 00:36

Recently purchased a cat 416c. 4 wheel drive doesn't work, which renders it just about useless. When I lift machine off the ground and engage drive all 4 wheels spin, however when any resistance is put to the front drives they stop. I checked tran fluid and it is slightly overfilled... checked all fuses. Not sure how this system works just yet but seems as if it has a clutch in transfer case which isint working. Anyone had this problem? Is it common? Are there any other major issues with the 416c that I should be aware of? Any help will be greatly appreciated as it is winter and work is slow, Cat dealers service out of question for time being...

Replies7
  1. #1Per Eriksson2011-01-21 15:41

    Do the front wheels spin when off the ground and 4wheel drive is off? Directly below the output shaft on the transmission you have a plug, the pressure for the all wheel drive clutch pack can be measured there, it should be about 200psi when activated. At the awd switch you can measure the 552 white cable for resistance, it should have about 10 ohms to ground through the solenoid.

  2. #2ctheddy2011-01-21 18:01

    The wheels spin regardless of switch position. The machine is clearing snow at the moment. Will check back when switch is tested and pressure checked. Thanks.

  3. #3Conn2011-01-24 23:46

    I have a Cat 426 with the same problem. I think the front wheels spin due to fluid friction. when my solenoid was working, I could hear 'clunk' when I engage the front wheel drive with the wheels off the ground. My solenoid has shorted out - for a 426 its a 6T9519, the same as the trans neutralizer solenoid.

  4. #4mitch5042011-01-25 01:32

    You have to post in somebody elses thread at least 3 times, then the mods will promote you, and then you can start a thread

  5. #5Rgarcia11042012-09-04 02:50

    Can anyone tell me what the outcome to all this was? I'm having a similar problem,except when 4wd is engaged, the front wheels move much slower than the back wheels.Almost no movement at all. 2000 cat 426

  6. #6ctheddy2012-09-04 08:13

    My issue was the wiring to the solenoid. Seems to me you might be having a similar issue with your clutch not fully activating. Best of luck!

  7. #7Rgarcia11042012-09-04 23:12

    Thanks for the reply, I'm a new machine owner, but I don't mind getting grease on my elbows.how do I get to the solenoid? As far as the wiring, is it a harness I can purchase from dealer? Again thank you much for your reply!