Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416C auto level

AllDodge ยท 2013-10-09 17:53

Picked up a manual for my 416C, and I worked with many manuals for the Navy, and these are not that great. The level sensor on the center cylinder appeared to be ripped out and the wires were just hanging. Bought a new switch and installed, then adjusted according to the manual. I lift the bucket, dump it, then while dropping I move control to the far left and feel the extra pressure, but if I release it does not go to level, it just stops. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to check or fix??

Replies5
  1. #1ol' Grump2013-10-09 23:57

    It's been a while since I was on a 416 but unless my memory has gone bad, shove the lever far to the right and release. Unless there's an electrical problem that's keeping it from working, it should auto level.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2013-10-10 05:17

    Check for power at the lower coil on the valve. I have seen these wires ripped out as well along with bad coils, and rusty plates for magnet.

  3. #3AllDodge2013-10-10 10:37

    Thanks I'll look into it

  4. #4ol' Grump2013-10-10 23:16

    My bad, I spent some "quality time" on a 416 today and realized my error regarding the stick position. To get into autolevel, the stick goes to the left and not to the right. Are you moving the stick as far as it goes or just until you feel some pressure? It should sort of "snap over" similar to the main clutch on an old dozer, then remain in autolevel postiion (far left) until the action of the valve kicks it back to center. Sorry about the mistake. . .

  5. #5AllDodge2013-10-11 08:25

    I move the stick to the far left as you mentioned but it stops when I release. I move it to the left and then start feeling something that feels like the rod going across small gear teeth. T don't think it's teeth just feels something like that. No matter how far I move it, it stops when I release it. Haven't had time to get back to the machine to check the other end of the wires.