Howdy All, I am new to this forum, and have been hiding in the shadows reading a lot of real informative posts for a few weeks. Boy have I learned a lot! Thanks to all of you that take the time to help a fella work through his problems. I am just an "OLD" Cowboy that knows nothing about mechanics, however I just recently purchased an old backhoe that has a few problems, that I hope you can help me with. My hoe is as follows: JD Model = 410-B Serial Number = 1336421 Engine Type = 4219DT 03 Serial Number = 199933T First off, can anyone tell me what year this tractor is by the serial number? Second, I can not seem to find the screen in the hydraulic system that I read about people cleaning. Does anyone know where it is located? Third, Where is the best place you have found to purchase filters and parts for this hoe? Any and all help greatly appreciated. Rick
HeavyEquipmentForums Try the above link....there is a small 3"x1" hose coming from the bottom of the transmission, which is called the sump to the vertical steel bell housing filter, I have found that you have to drop the filter and then remove the short hose, and then unscrew the hose barb to be able to remove the screen. Try JDparts.com for schematic.
A 410b should be 1983-1986. My guide doesn't get closer for some reason.
For filters I think filterspro.com has great prices, and almost any filter you need, 99.9% sure they have yours. Other parts, it all depends, common engine parts or John Deere parts you can get at your local ag Deere dealer, they'll know how to find it and you won't save many cents anywhere else. Any parts specific to the backhoe are going to be more of a challenge, even if you don't mind paying. Get to know your local machinist. What are you thinking of doing to the backhoe?
Many thanks for all great suggestions guys, and especially the link outbackrider. Am I right in assuming that when I pull the screen I will loose all the hydraulic fluid, or is their a trick that one of you might know on how you keep the fluid in the machine. If I can catch it in a bucket, about how many quartz/gallons am I talking about loosing? mitch504, I was under the impression that this is a 1980, does that sound about right to you from the specs I listed? Delmer, I just went to the local JD dealer (50 miles away, nothing is close in this wide open Sahara Desert, we drive 104 miles just for groceries and purchased the two hydraulic filters, an oil filter, and fuel filter as I am sure they have not been changed for years. We have a tremendous need for gravel & septic rock in this area, and I have an overabundance in a BIG dry wash that crosses the ranch, so thought I might try and make a little money on the side as my social security only amounts to $735.00 a month. I don't plan on rebuilding the machine, but I do believe in preventive maintenance, so that's why all the questions. The original problem that started me asking questions is that the reverser lever was not working well. Sometimes I had to wait 10-15 minutes for it to go forward. Did some adjusting on the reverser valve rod, and hope that when I get the hydraulic filters changed, and the screen cleaned (it probably hasn't been cleaned since it was new i'm sure) that it will work much better. Delmer, my Son and his family live in Ellsworth WI, do you know where that is? Thanks Again All, Rick
Sure, I've heard of Ellsworth, near the Twin Cities somewhere, lots of relatives in that area myself, none in Ellsworth though. I should have mentioned that filterspro has a bricks and mortar in AZ somewhere, can't remember exactly. Usually there's a drain plug that's a better place to drain the fluid than the fittings, I think there's 20+ gallons in there, but I don't have that model. Typically you'd change the fluid and filters, but I would put the old fluid right back in there until you get the kinks worked out, then change everything again once you're confident you won't be tearing into it again. Drain it hot, let the buckets settle good, siphon the fluid back in, and don't suck the junk off the bottom of the buckets. Good luck.
I believe you will drop about 2-3 gallons when you drain the sump...at least that is my memory....remember, the cylinders and lines have oil in them so, the full 20 gallons is not sitting in the sump. When I did mine, I drained the sump and then pulled both the hydraulic and transmission filter cans off. I remember a lot of oil, again, probably 2-3 gallons. 15-20 minutes to go forward???? Not sure if cleaning the filter is going to help....my machine was older than yours, but I found the forward/reverse linkage was not fully engaging..... I made some adjustments and she ran great. I hope it all works out for you.